J13 Transmission and L16 Motor...will it work?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swap the cases. The transmission internals are similar (maybe a different gear ratio 1-2-3) but the front case, which includes the "bellhousing", is different. The splined shaft on the rear is different too, since the PL521 had a bolt-on flange, which may or may not be an issue.

Like he said it is hard to find Datsuns around here. I was just going to see if I could get by with what I have, but if not I will look for a 5 speed to bolt up. Any suggestions?

Also I would like to get a 5 speed because this truck will see alot of highway time.

Like he said it is hard to find Datsuns around here.

Yeah, I know, but seems easier to try and find an L trans so it's just a remove 'n' replace job rather than remove two trannies, strip, convert, etc.

I was just going to see if I could get by with what I have, but if not I will look for a 5 speed to bolt up. Any suggestions?

Also I would like to get a 5 speed because this truck will see alot of highway time.

sarcasm.jpg

Gee, no one has -EVER- asked that question before.

2688779538_e3ae5589c4.jpg

• Like 1

I have been searching, and I know the question has been answered, but all I am finding is people switching to L20B motors and transmissions, and people running a transmission out of a 78-79 200sx which is a pretty hard car to find in a junkyard around here. I am looking for other options.

The most common L series 5 speed is the FS5W71B used in the truck, 280z and zx non turbo and the Maxima. Two things:

1/ The 5 spd. is over 5 " longer than yours so the driveshaft must be shortened.

2/ The rear transmission mount must be cut and welded in order to fit the 5 speed.

3/ Your driveshaft end has a flange that bolts to the output on your four speed. This won't work on the 5 speed so you will need the front driveshaft spline from a truck. This can be joined to your driveshaft at the U joint and then shortened to suit. (guess that was 3 things.)

If another 521 4 speed is unavailable, the 4 speed from a 510 sedan or goon, early 620 before Oct '73 and the 710 4speed are close enough in length to work. You can use the flange off your broken 4 speed and plug the hole where the bolt is with a 40mm engine freeze plug to keep the oil in. I know this isn't a 5 speed but it's the easiest way to get back on the road.