Good 320 swap

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hsve a 1965 l-320 with a j-15 it runs good but it's pretty tired is it worth rebuilding? Or is there a better option

I would rebuild what you have, it will probably be a headache finding the parts, the the alternitive is a swap, and there are not a lot of smaller engines that are easy to drop in, you could find a bigger displacement J block, good luck with that, you could drop an A15 with a 5 speed in it, there are more performance parts for that engine, but it has issues also, oil filter hits the stock idler arm, rear mount for the tranny, with the torsion bar setup it is difficult to R&R the transmission without moving the engine, custom driveline, ect, and it is the same displacement.:( I am sure there are other engines that might fit without hacking up the firewall, I'm sure someone will chime in on that, for more power out of your J15, I would look into motorcycle carbs with a custom manifold. here is a photo of an A15 in my former 65 L320.

DSCF0018.jpg

• Like 1

suzy G13B engine is a great engine, has more power than J15, but less torque. And it won't fit where an A15 does.

You could sell the j15, guys want them cause they are rare.

Does MGB 1800 swap in place of J15?

Or J20 out of a 2006 VW santana out of china.

I have two 320's both with j15's one is a parts truck. My good one has 4 on the floor. The parts one has 4 on the column. I was able to find a distributor brand new on eBay. Apparently they used the J15 in forklifts so I was able to get a whole gasket set and tune up kits plugs in Nissan boxes. The only thing that's a draw back is pertronix doesn't mAke a kit for that distributor. Has anyone modified one to fit? And I'd anyone is ever looking for parts for a j15 just get on eBay and type in "Nissan j15" you can get starters, gasket sets, tune up kits, carbs for propane:(, full rebuild kits with cylinder sleeves. I figured out that the word "forklift" is the key to finding j15 gold.

suzy G13B engine is a great engine, has more power than J15, but less torque. And it won't fit where an A15 does.

You could sell the j15, guys want them cause they are rare.

Does MGB 1800 swap in place of J15?

Or J20 out of a 2006 VW santana out of china.

I suspect the MGB 1800 would fit, if you can find one, I snagged a 1600 recently for my MGTD. Hey ggzilla, did you mean that the G13B "will fit" where an A15 does? There is a rotory engine at the vancouver "pick and pull" last week, that's what the G13B is, correct?

I have two 320's both with j15's one is a parts truck. My good one has 4 on the floor. The parts one has 4 on the column. I was able to find a distributor brand new on eBay. Apparently they used the J15 in forklifts so I was able to get a whole gasket set and tune up kits plugs in Nissan boxes. The only thing that's a draw back is pertronix doesn't mAke a kit for that distributor. Has anyone modified one to fit? And I'd anyone is ever looking for parts for a j15 just get on eBay and type in "Nissan j15" you can get starters, gasket sets, tune up kits, carbs for propane:(, full rebuild kits with cylinder sleeves. I figured out that the word "forklift" is the key to finding j15 gold.

This is a link to Mike Klotz NL320 thread, on the first page he combines a E1 points distributer and a 1979 datsun 620 matchbox electronic ignition distributer together, the end result is a E1 electronic ignition distributer, the J block dist. is basicly the same thing as an E1 dist.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/393-mklotz70-nl320/page__view__findpost__p__330297__hl__mklotz__fromsearch__1

will an r16 fit, I seem to be running across them lots on local cl, kijiji and used lists. Don't know how plentifull they are where you are

I don't know the answer to this question for sure, but I don't beleave it will with the radiator in it's stock position, but the R16 engine in the 411 has a short water pump that will shorten the engines over all length, how much I am not sure. Another issue with the R16 engine is it is associated with the early roadster, and like the corvette, the price of parts have gone way up, it's a great engine, but it costs to much to work on.

I guess I have a narrow idea of what fits in a 320, without cutting the firewall, will the engine and radiator fit in the engine compartment? The 320 doesn't have a lot of legroom in the cab as it is, I refuse to have less than it has now.

we had to barely cut the tranny hump to clear the ka tranny, no cuts to the firewall, and I could've made a radiator fit in the "stock" location if I would have been allowed the time. I hear what you're sayin though.