oil coming out my crank case breather?

Topher88

Well tomorrow I may be pulling the motor and taking it to a shop to be re built. I want a reliable anging and for the price it would cost to get anything running l20b I can just get mine re built. I really want to get some more power out of it but still want it to be very reliable and I know there is a fine line when it comes to that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the driver's side of the block behind the exhaust manifold.

L16/18s tend to come straight out from the block and past the exhaust manifold. There is a hose that connects the pipe to the PCV valve on the intake manifold.

L16blockpcv.jpg

L20B (and Z series) come out the top and the pipe wraps around the back of exhaust manifold with hose to the PCV valve.

motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog-1.jpg

On the driver's side of the block behind the exhaust manifold.

L16blockpcv.jpg

Sooo Mike~ just exactly what kind of grass you mowin...? :blink:

:lol: JK, my friend, JK!!! :lol:

Unusual color for an engine paint....

give me 300 and i will rebuild it for u ;) u jst gotta pay parts and machine shop work.

Machine work will cost 300+ and parts will cost around that too. Thanks for the offer man but thats still a KA swap right there. If I can't find a cheap decent running L20b then I'll just have to put my project on hold and start my saving for a KA swap in the 510

I check my PCV and it was good and hooked up a breather to the PCV and had a t so I fit one end of the t to a catch can and made sure it was air tight then I hooked it up to the PCV and crank case and oil oozed into the can. Since my compression isn't that bad is the one that 135 the reason I have so much oil coming out???

What's the smoke smell like? If it smells like exhaust ur not gonna want to put that back into ur crank case. It will just continue to contaminate the oil further. Ur pvc obviously isn't going to be able to compinsate for that much crank case pressure. I would just take a hose from your crank case and valve cover and run it into the fender or ground. Vent it to the atmosphere. Truck will contine to smoke if not smoke worse cause its going straight to the atmosphere but atleast its not putting that shit back in your motor. Do a oil change to get rid of the already contaminated oil and just roll with it. Mean while I would start saving for a rebuild to fix the problem or source a new better running L motor.

so today i did an oil change on the old girl and guess what i figured out?? turns out the dip stick that the PO used was an L16 dip stick or some other. Picked up an L20b dip stick and It was about 3 - 4 inches longer then the one i had. That explains why oil was spurging out the crank case. now she dosnt spit oil or even smoke with the PCV valve and breather hooked up. YAY. Now i need to see why she is getting in the 210 temp. i purchased a 180 thermostat so ll put that in and see what it does. think thats a good temp for a southern cali 510?

L16blockpcv.jpg

Sooo Mike~ just exactly what kind of grass you mowin...? :blink:

:lol: JK, my friend, JK!!! :lol:

Unusual color for an engine paint....

I have no idea who's L16 that is. :lol: (or what he's smokin') A picture is a picture is a picture.

• 2 weeks later...