521 carrier bearing & slip joint issues

420n620

I got a few questions and sorry if it has been ask and answered already but here it goes.

I'm working on 70 521 that I put 3" lift spacers in the rear, 1" spacer under the carrier bearing but the carrier bearing has a slight tilt and the holes are a little off from the mounting holes. If I was to bolt down the carrier bearing it's going to put a bind on the rubber insulator plus the rear drive line slip joint is push into it's self as far as it can go.

Just so you know, the 521 is still on the jack stands, rearend not tighten down but push back a far as it can. If it was sitting on the ground, the slip joint doesn't have the room to move forward. I'm just mocking this up to make sure I don't have problems later down the road and not damaging anything.

Now lets say if I was to bolt it all up and go out hit the pavement, the suspension is going to travel up and down as it should.

Since the slip joint has no more room to move in and out like it should, this movement is going to force the drive line forward, other wise jam the DL into the tranny.

Here is what I'm dealing with.

IMG_6571.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt do nothing. my Belltech 6202part number has a 2 deg rake to put the pumpkin down slightly.

More than 3 inch then worry about it.

lower the truck and see where the drivline goes. In/out

Mine is fine

ditto, 3" with 2 deg, no problems

haines & dr ~ these block have the 2 degree, is the shorter height go to the front or rear, maybe thats where I screwed up.

flatcat19, I did the block on the carrier bearing because thats what peeps are doing to the 620 when they lower the rear. I'll try it with and without the carrier block.

When someone can tell me which way the lowering blocks go, I'll bolt it all up and get it on the ground.

You can keep the carrier spacer..that will save U joints in the long run & keep the driveshaft at a better angle. With just 3 inch blocks & "all" your leafs in the pack i dont see why the shaft is so far up on the slip joint..seems strange.

On my old 521..ran 2 leafs, 3 inch blocks,no rear bump stops, frame 1 inch from the axle...I had the same slip joint issue so i cut off 1 inch & no issues after that in terms of the driveshaft jamming into the trans.