Where to get steering ball joints

chumstone

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered that kit and it was great except the ball joints were two different no name brands. It wasn't even Moog stuff they just put no name ball joints in a Moog box. As for the drag link look on EBay that is where I got mine.

LOL I ordered the same kit and one of the outer tie rod ends was like you described and the other was moog. I emailed them pissed off and they offered to send me a new one and pay for shipping both ways. Took a while but they fixed the problem and replaced the part ;)

Later

Joel

FWIW, the 11mm ball joints were a pain in the ass to find back when I re-did the front suspension on mine.

I ended up finding an easier route, which was find the steering knuckles off a later model 510 that use the 14mm ball joints, and then the ball joints are everywhere. And, they are a beefy upgrade.

I was told to find 280zx steering knuckles. This is pretty much a no-no on a 510, unless you want uber-sensitive steering. They are shorter than 510 knuckles. Fine around town. But you lose some leverage and when you're on the freeway all it takes is one bump and you can kiss your car good bye. Or kiss the guard rail... either/or.

I've never heard of anybody breaking an 11mm balljoint, though - I wouldn't be too concerned with it if that is what you have. I did the upgrade not because they are physically stronger, but because they are more readily available and the knuckles were on my parts car.