firewall pix

i am having a had time trying to find out about a switch that is threaded in the firewall (engine bay side) that is near/at throttle pedal area, it looks like the switch that you use for on brake/clutch pedal brackets under dash inside and has 2 wires attached to it either round prong or flat blade type. i need to know where i can get 1 @ and what wires from the engine bay harness it is(color coded)that run along firewall. it is for my 70' 521 (grimace)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am having a had time trying to find out about a switch that is threaded in the firewall (engine bay side) that is near/at throttle pedal area, it looks like the switch that you use for on brake/clutch pedal brackets under dash inside and has 2 wires attached to it either round prong or flat blade type. i need to know where i can get 1 @ and what wires from the engine bay harness it is(color coded)that run along firewall. it is for my 70' 521 (grimace)

Without pix I am reduced to guessing that you are talking about the brake light switch [based on similarity to the 411 sedan family]. The wires are black with yellow stripe and have "bullet " type push on connectors. The best replacement I have found, available at O'Reiley etc, is the BWD part number S652. It is made in Japan and has a solid brass body and threaded section, not a pressed steel body with brazed on threaded section. The "bad news" if you want to call it that is that it does not fit the standard 1 inch by 1 and 1/8 inch brake socket, it is a full inch hex without the corner scallops of the standard fitting. However, a standard 1 inch socket will not fit either due to the full dimension sharp corners of the hex head, the corners hang up on the inside corners of the socket. You will need to use either a metric 26 mm socket or an open combination 1 inch "spanner" wrench. start with the open end and finish with the broached closed end loop to fully seat. Good luck, fill the body with a drop or two of brake fluid before installing to insure that the switch will truly work on the first try.

This switch is used along with a switch on the clutch pedal, on the carburetor, and a third gear, and neutral switch, to activate a relay that uses the second set of retarded points in the distributer.

The retarded set of points is only used when at part throttle, in third gear, with the clutch out.

If you do not have a dual point distributer, this system cannot be used any way.

Still want the switch?

You would be better off putting your efforts into getting a "Matchbox" electronic distributer.