Troubled owner

I bought a 510 datsun from a friend heard it run and knew it was timing problems. He said his friends dad just worked on it not to long ago and worked for a little bit and started acting up again. Well when i tore it down and went to fix the timing problems I notice that the repair manual didn't match up with the work i was doing. And parts i bought were not fitting right.. Fustered i was. Now i am convinced that the owners before hand may have swapped motors and maybe didn't tell him or he just forgot. Now i am stuck trying to find out what engine i have i know it a z20 motor from the block casting but thats about it.

block casting number reads Z20 063039

m.jpg

my car as a whole

l.jpg

inside driver door

m.jpg

m.jpg

m.jpg

m.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the block says Z20 then you probably have the right engine, but it depends on what you're using for a manual. It's possible someone did serious mods, but unlikely.

The issue may be you're using the wrong section of a Haynes or Chilton manual, since they cover several engines.

• Like 1

If the block says Z20 then you probably have the right engine, but it depends on what you're using for a manual. It's possible someone did serious mods, but unlikely.

The issue may be you're using the wrong section of a Haynes or Chilton manual, since they cover several engines.

i bought a new head gasket for that make and model and didn't fit plus there is a cruise contron unit added that shouldn't be there the controls are just hanging off the stearing wheel and the bolted on a tow hitch.. strange i know making me think they may have dropped in a z20 motor from a 720 pickup

The truck and car Z20 head gaskets are identical.

The pics show a stock Z20S engine. Nothing weird there. In fact, it's probably even original, as it has the 4-spark plug head, whereas all later Z20S engines had 8 spark plugs.

Hopefully you didn't get an L20B head gasket... if someone looked up 1979 instead of '80, or went with the Canadian parts book, they'd have the wrong engine listed.

Yup, Z20 for sure. But I believe it belongs in that car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

What exactly is the problem that you're having?

Hopefully you didn't get an L20B head gasket... if someone looked up 1979 instead of '80, or went with the Canadian parts book, they'd have the wrong engine listed.

Actually, the Z20 and L20 head gaskets are nearly identical if I'm right. I did some research in the past for my LZ20E, and I think there were no real differences.

Edited by metalmonkey47

The truck and car Z20 head gaskets are identical.

The pics show a stock Z20S engine. Nothing weird there. In fact, it's probably even original, as it has the 4-spark plug head, whereas all later Z20S engines had 8 spark plugs.

ok i may have made that error ordering it oline but now i know i can fix that problem only a few more to go. any hard ones i will post with pics

]Actually, the Z20 and L20 head gaskets are nearly identical if I'm right. I did some research in the past for my LZ20E, and I think there were no real differences.

They are significantly different at the front, where the head meets the timing cover. NAPS-Z were wider and had 3 bolts through the head into the timing cover itself. The part that sits on the block itself isn't much different other than a few cooling holes and oil drains being slightly relocated.