510 - Rear Coilover Feedback

808DA6

I've worked this out in my head so i'm not worried about it.

...but...

Has anyone else experienced an increase is road/chassis noise after installing rear coilovers? The way I see it, these noises were deadened by the fact the stock spring was mounted to the subframe. Now that my rear suspension is connected to the body, its reverberating the sounds of worn bushings and worn bearings. I have a "clunk" when the suspension transitions up/down. I double checked that everything is tight. I had the wife bounce the car while i checked underneath and all I could feel was a little loosness from the rear hub area; bearings.

Am I alone in this?

-B

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock spring was mounted to the subframe? What does that mean? The stock spring doesn't connect to the subframe any more than a coilover on the shock mount. Are you sure the increase in noise isn't simply because you have a stiffer wheel rate? If your bearings are so worn that you can feel looseness, you might want to change those. Another issue is that a lot of the coilovers being sold become completely unloaded at droop, so they can have clunking associated with the top hat and spring when they become unloaded and then load is reapplied. Zip tie everything together or get some tender springs so that this doesn't happen.

I'm sure it isn't the springs unloading because they don't float at full droop. I'll put the car in the air when I get home and get a better feel of the rear hubs. The car handles really well, but that clunk is fuggin irritating. I might go back to my original setup for now until I get a spare set of rear control arms to change the bearings/bushings in.

-B

The springs were slightly rubbing on my 2 door ..... . . . so I took a hammer to the inner fender well and the lower seam that sticks out

I installed the same coilovers on my 4 door and drove 500 miles with no problems .. . . but my friend complains about rear coilover noise on his 4 door though :huh:

Maybe it's a simple "needs moar low" fix .. . .. :lol: ..... . . just lower them more than half-way and drive it slammed ....... :lol:

I think u guys are on to something. The bearings didn't feel like they'd produce the kind of noise I'm hearing. When I lowered the coilover out of the shock pocket, i did see some scuffing on the spring. I took a hammer to the inner body, but i may need to add spacers to the bottom mount so that they sit more centered in the upper pocket. Its a tight damn fit.

-B

• 1 year later...