5spd for my datsun 620 ?

hondateen222

okay so i have a 1979 datsun 620 long bed L20 engine and i want a 5spd. reason being is i want it to be able to top out higher than 55mph without

the super high RPM's any ideas? or models to get a tranny? will it bolt right in or do i need to buy a new clutch or something?

-Thanks Tom

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its ur first post so ill be the one to pipe up,

1. pics (AKA OICS) of you datsun will get you more answers - we are pic hoe's :P - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

2. search function should always be your first stop - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23286-ratsun-advanced-search-on-google/

3 WELCOME TO RATSUN!!!!!

okay so i have a 1979 datsun 620 long bed L20 engine and i want a 5spd. reason being is i want it to be able to top out higher than 55mph without

the super high RPM's any ideas? or models to get a tranny? will it bolt right in or do i need to buy a new clutch or something?

-Thanks Tom

Got what you need~ but kinda far away...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31738-5-speed-transmission-rebuilt/page__p__476637__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=476637

If you can't get over 55MPH a 5-speed isn't going to help. I run 70 routinely, did 80 once for over 50 miles (trying hopelessly to catch up with the folks I was following after I made a rest-stop break) with the stock 4-speed and worse rear gears than you have.

It's gonna be loud. Turning 4K is nothing to these engines. At 55 you aren't even turning 3500... BARELY over 3000. Not even halfway to redline. Unless your clutch is slipping like mad. Or you have clown-car tires.

As for the trans swap, all the info is here, it's been covered many times.

yes its already a 4spd , thanks for the warm welcome.

its just the rpms are loud as hell! i wanna be able to cruise at 55 not sound like im gonna blow up!

Go get another honda :rofl: These things sound like planes taking off. Get some sound deadner, an electric fan, taller gears, some ear plugs... and then a 5 speed.

-Thanks Tom

The '79 620 uses a 4.11 rear end. All other years use 4.375 or lower so you already have the advantage of freeway gears in it. 55MPH is no where near topped out and it certainly isn't at super high RPMs. With 4.11s you should be well below 3K. You can't go by engine sound, use a tachometer.

The ideal 5 speed is from a '79 truck like yours, but any '77-'78 will work. The '77-'78 280z, the '79-83 non turbo 280zx and the '81-'84 Maxima will work also.

yes its already a 4spd , thanks for the warm welcome.

its just the rpms are loud as hell! i wanna be able to cruise at 55 not sound like im gonna blow up!

You're not gonna blow up. Have you looked at the sound deadening in it? You'll look a long time, it's not there. The thin metal body just makes it sound worse.

A 5-speed will HELP, but not by much as far as noise goes. Basically the difference in engine noise from 55 to 48MPH, with a truck 5-speed.

Check your clutch fan. The plastic blades should turn by hand with some firmness. Clutch fans have been known to sieze and will then turn the same speed as the water pump. I've been told it sounds like an F-18 taking off.

Check your clutch fan. The plastic blades should turn by hand with some firmness. Clutch fans have been known to sieze and will then turn the same speed as the water pump. I've been told it sounds like an F-18 taking off.

Hah, that is better than it turning with no resistance at all. I had to try to get mine to sound like an f-18 to keep my engine cool back in the day.