320 balljoint / disc brake conversion

I've run into a dilemna with my 320. It's more ethical than mechanical. I have no problem cutting frames, but therein lies the dilemna.

I want to install all the balljoint / disc brake stuff from a 720 front clip I bought, but there is so much going on up there. Control arm lengths, frame width, steering box and idler arm location, torsion bars, etc, that I am considering scrapping the plan altogether. One possibility is to narrow the new clip and make the width equal to the existing torsion bars. That done, the new frame width will be only 1/4" off.

The problem there is that the front WMS width will be 2 3/4" wider than the stock 320.

I've got plenty of room for that scenario without making it look funny, and I could run a spacer in the rear. But I originally didn't want to cut the frame up. If I did it this way I could be done with it in a matter of a couple days.

Should I just do it?

PS- the truck is going to be for sale after this conversion is done.

IMG_2659Small.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nice and I do have reservations. But somebody already hacked it up when they tried to install an A12 a long time ago. I went with it and built a nice 100HP A12 and put in a 5 speed. The problem with stock is that the kingpins are shot and I have an aversion to rebuilding something that's going to be sub-par when it's finished.

Go big or go home right? And besides, it's not like it's a '58 Testarossa.

With the amount of work that you are willing to do and capable of doing, consider not cutting the factory frame(lots of work) and building custom control arms to accept disc brake spindles. Upper control arms are super easy to build, lower will be a little more difficult, but still way less work than a frame clip. Just build the arms to get the track width that you want.

That truck is beautiful! With a 100HP and a 5 speed, that looks like the perfect little Saturday errand runner.

But, I dare say that it will never turn laps at Thunderhill, so my vote is to leave it stock and replace the king pins. If you look in the right places the kits are still available.

To add, I say this having done exactly what you proposed; I installed 720 ball joints, spindles and brakes on a 521. Your right, once you get all the pieces in place there's a lot going on. My solution was custom arms; I cut the stock arms and positioned the wheel mounting surfaces where I wanted them and fabricated the outer ends of the control arms. I never got that truck on the road, but with custom outer tie rods it would work.

You're in Cool? Do we know each other? I know Cody...

You guys are definitely helping me by airing out all the dirty laundry.

I will say that I don't even compare kingpins to be in the same realm as balljoints though. Balljoints are much quieter and more comfortable, not to mention the steering.

Thought about doing the control arms, but as I said, doing a frame clip could be done in 2 days tops. I took some good solid measurements and I could just narrow the 720 clip by 2.75" and have a slightly wider track width (which wouldn't be all that bad). Everything else will line up perfectly.

I must admit, track performance did in fact cross my mind.

As it stands, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks: Balljoints, disc brakes, better steering system, dual circuit brakes, bigger wheel bearings (that are still available).

I'm 70/30 for the clip.

Here's the motor in it. I modified a stock air cleaner (from a 68 510) to fit the DGV so I didn't have to run that stupid adapter.

EngineSmall.jpg

And with the head off. I was looking for a broken ring, but as it turns out, the diaphragm in the fuel pump was bad. All for nothing...

Datsun_1200_motor002.jpg