Tricks of the trade

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who uses oil pan gaskets any more? I use "The Right Stuff" black rtv sealer. Works great, just a bitch to clean should you have to take it off, but I also don't ever seem to have the nice rubber reusable nismo pan gaskets either.

I sealed the 510's race motor 4 years ago, still no leaks from the pan.

Who uses oil pan gaskets any more? I use "The Right Stuff" black rtv sealer. Works great, just a bitch to clean should you have to take it off, but I also don't ever seem to have the nice rubber reusable nismo pan gaskets either.

I sealed the 510's race motor 4 years ago, still no leaks from the pan.

Permatex Right Stuff is amazing, as is Toyota sealing compound...both of them will hold up to damn near any fluid and will work on all sorts of surface imperfections.

What have I learned for tricks of the trade? Tons...but not many specifically for Datsuns. Even though I have been working at automotive shops for years, this is my first Nissan product...but I will leave you with one jem I found...

If you have a Naps Z24 8 plug distributor from about 83 to 87, do yourself a favor and buy the factory Nissan or Napa Gold distributor rotor. Every other aftermarket rotor I found for the 8 plug distributor in that year range uses a rivet to attach the metal spark contact of the out cylinder bank rotor to the plastic housing, and they do not cover the rivet in plastic or epoxy. This doesn't sound like an issue until you fire the car up and run it...and the inner bank of spark plugs starts misfiring through the rivet. This may be due to the high voltage coils I am using, but I still would advise staying away from the cheap caps.