suitable replacements for the F4W63 transmission

haze

howdy y'all i have yet another question concerning my 1972 datusn 521 pickup. after overhauling my front suspension, replacing the radiator, and rebuilding the engine i decided it would be in my best interests to get the gearbox overhauled as well being that there was an issue with grinding in second when coming out of higher gears. i took the thing to a local tranny shop and they quoted me 2500 dollars for a rebuild. they say i need a new input shaft, synchros, bearings and seals. my engine rebuild cost me 1083 bucks and i am thinking this is a scam. i am taking the thing to another shop around here recommended to me by my machine shop come monday. their quote is 200 dollars plus parts. hopefully all goes well and i can get a solid gearbox for around 600 bucks but if not i was wondering what my options are as far as swapping the thing out. i am a novice mechanic with limited tools and even more limited budget.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$2500?

la-rigolade-ff3ao.jpg

Now that we have that out of the way. Here's another one...... On day Hainz wanted to clear out some junk in the garage so he put two F4W63 trannys out on the front yard with a FREE sign on them. When he came home from work there were three. Out here we throw them away. Your best bet is to get one from another 521 but if not....

Your 521 basically uses the same transmission as the 510 sedan or wagon or the early 620, and the 710 car but with one difference. Your output flange and spline is bolted into the back of the tranny and the flange bolts to the driveshaft. (all the others have a removable spline that slips in the end)

See the bolt that holds the flange onto the main output shaft?

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

Flange removed, nut on mainshaft.

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

If you were to get a sedan or wagon 510 or the '72-early '73 620 F4W63 and used the 521 flange, oil would run out the hole covered by the bolt. To fix this just get a 40mm frost plug and seal the end.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Whichever tranny you get is has to be close to 26" long. Some are longer so make sure before you buy it.

$2500?

la-rigolade-ff3ao.jpg

Now that we have that out of the way. Here's another one...... On day Hainz wanted to clear out some junk in the garage so he put two F4W63 trannys out on the front yard with a FREE sign on them. When he came home from work there were three. Out here we throw them away. Your best bet is to get one from another 521 but if not....

Your 521 basically uses the same transmission as the 510 sedan or wagon or the early 620, and the 710 car but with one difference. Your output flange and spline is bolted into the back of the tranny and the flange bolts to the driveshaft. (all the others have a removable spline that slips in the end)

See the bolt that holds the flange onto the main output shaft?

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

Flange removed, nut on mainshaft.

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

If you were to get a sedan or wagon 510 or the '72-early '73 620 F4W63 and used the 521 flange, oil would run out the hole covered by the bolt. To fix this just get a 40mm frost plug and seal the end.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Whichever tranny you get is has to be close to 26" long. Some are longer so make sure before you buy it.

i love you datzen mike my brain is swelling with knowledge. i will keep my eyes open for old 510s, 620s and 710s. i cant tell you the horrible things i would do for a cheap used tranny at this point however texas isnt very big on old foriegn trucks.i have lived in austin now for 3 years and have only seen one other datusn truck in that time and the junk yards here are also pretty barren(at least for the 521) . i just ran a check on ebay for the models you just listed and didnt see anything. i fear this may be a time consuming quest and i am on a bicycle until my baby breaths air agian. you know of any sellers in your area? i was reading alot of your posts and you really seem to know your stuff. how many transmissions will actually bolt up to my l 16? what is the most available/affordable swap? what kind of money am i looking at to do this? and just because i am stupid: how does on go about shorting a drive shaft? mold me i am your clay sir.

All L's.

Z's will fit with an L bellhousing.

Driveshaft will need to be modded depending on what trans you use.

There is SOOOOOO much trans swap info on this site.

Really...tons!

are you saying any z standard tranny will bolt up to my l 16 engine? will the stick shift go through the floor at the same point as well? btw what part of the tri cities you from? i went to richland high class of 95

are you saying any z standard tranny will bolt up to my l 16 engine? will the stick shift go through the floor at the same point as well? btw what part of the tri cities you from? i went to richland high class of 95

I'm from Portland, born and raised.

But I've lived in Benton City for right over a year now.

My wife went to Richland. Graduated a couple of years ahead of you.

It ain't no big city, but I'm really digging on the quiet life.

That's why I chose Benton City. I am 100% surrounded by cherry trees for miles.

Not many Datsun's, but I'm slowly finding all the owners.

We just held our 5th Datsun/Nissan owners meet and greet today.

Went well. Quite a few new faces. And a Skyline to boot!

Now your tranny questions....

I'm no expert, but think I can give you a good general idea.

There are two different lengths of L series trannys.

26.5" and a 31"

They will all bolt to your L16. Except 280zx turbo. Stay away from that one.

When installing a 31" into your truck, it will move it back that far.

May rub on your bench seat. May not.

The trannys from the Z series will work, but it will take your L bellhousing.

I'm not positive on what throw out bearing to use with all the swaps or what combination of drivelines will work.

Like I said, there are tons of posts, just like yours, asking which tranny will work and which will not.

Searching ratsun through google works better than search button at top of page.

Other than the other 4 speeds already mentioned, only the dogleg 5 speed from a '77-'79 200sx is the same length as your 4 speed and will bolt in without shortening the driveshaft. You will need to modify the rear mount though. The '79-'80 510 optional dogleg 5 speed will also fit.

Z car 4 and 5 speeds will bolt up but need a shorter driveshaft and rear mount mods. My 710 4 speed is similar to your 4 speed (26") and I just put a '79 290zx 5 speed in (31.5") and used the 710 clutch and release bearing and it works just fine. The shifter moved back about 2" and didn't need to trim the hole so should be the same in the 521.

I'll take all three right now. I could use some extra parts since I just broke my tranny while rebuilding it. ;)

Just so I'm clear, is the nut still behind the freeze plug?

No. The nut was holding the splined flange onto the back of the old tranny. The output shaft is threaded for the nut..

On the other trannys they are not so the nut won't be needed. But the hole needs to be sealed.

• 2 weeks later...