Air lock in the master cylinder?

The last week or so, I had been having issues with soft and weak brakes. I checked everything out and determined it must have been the master cyl, so I ordered one, and installed it. Old one was gunked up, leaking and in shit shape. I bench bled it, installed it, and flushed/bled the brakes at each wheel as well as the master cyl before any of the wheels.

I noticed it's gradually softened up again. It's intermittent though, sometimes worse then others. Out driving in the rain today I slammed the brakes, and when I got on the brakes next, I noticed it went almost all the way to the floor before I got enough braking power to stop the car.

I got it home, and checked the fluids. Topped off still. I opened up the bleed screw on the master and bled it a little bit, got a few tiny bubbles out, but not hardly anything. I drove it and it was super stiff and powerful as hell, but again, first time I stepped on the brakes it was soft again and I had very little braking power.

Only thing I can think of is that there may be an air lock in the master. Input and suggestions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any air in the system would compress all the time not just some of the time. Perhaps after you bleed it and the peddle is firm air is being sucked in when you let up on the peddle. Are the bleeders on the master tight? Are the two lines out the bottom tight?? Are the bleed screws tight on all 4 wheel??? Are you using a proper brake wrench for this?

I would bench bleed it again, or better yet do it as installed. Crack the lines at the m/c and bleed it. Then do all fours wheels.

It could be the m/c is defective. Was it new or re-manufactured? I've had severl re-mans go bad within months.

First off, it was a reman. I bled it some more and it tightened up and was super powerful, but after a quick drive it's loose again. All the lines and bleed screws are tight. Wheel cylinders are not leaking either, however I DO have this sound coming from it (see video below)

Sound to you guys like air in the cylinder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThpuLc-9QY