WTB 280zx Brake Master Cyl

I'm looking to replace my 1970 master cyl with a 280zx unit.

Please let me know if you have one or can find me one. I will also consider a good working stock 510 unit.

Mine won't release the front brake fluid so my brakes hang. Please help me get my 510 on the road ! !

Located in Arlington, wa.

Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine won't release the front brake fluid so my brakes hang. Please help me get my 510 on the road ! !

Thanks

Check the peddle 'free play'. Push down lightly with your thumb on the clutch peddle. There should be about 1/16" of play before there is firmness. Without this play the master cylinder pushrod cannot return fully and some pressure will be trapped in the lines.

Thanks datzenmike but I already tried loosening up the adjustment rod behind the pedal and the same problem occors, just kinda pumps up pressure and doesnt release all the way. Then i tried adjusting it way out and still have the issue. Both wheels hang the smae amount too. If I jack it up, bleed the line slightly enough to get the wheel rolling easily, then pump the brakes a few times I can barely turn the front wheels by hand. If I release the pressure with the bleed on the caliper and repeat the process it happens again. I can only conclude a master cyl issue.

Any other ideas? does the rear adjustment affect the way the front feels? I tightend them way up before the brake swap so maybe theres something i can address. I will try lossening the rears tomorrow but after that I'm out of ideas.

Thanks guys!

the pedal is gonna feel like a brick ....... . . most 510ers use a 7/8ths master with 280zx brakes .... . . and 3/4's with stock 510 brakes

...... . unless you have a power brake booster,, then a stock 280zx 15/16ths might be okay

I thought that when swapping to the 280zx brakes the best option was to also swap in the master from the same car. The 280zx unit.

They were designed to work well together on the 280 so why not on the 510?

What is the 7/8th master off of??

Your adding to my confusion here guy!

If you grab the Master-Vac brake booster off of a B-210, you can use the 15/16 master cylinder without it feeling (so much) like a brick. I have a Master-Vac on the 610, and I have a 15/16 unit, but I have heard both pros and cons. The plan is to run a 7/8 unit, and keep the 15/16 as a spare.

Julian (okayfine) said everyone uses a 7/8ths Z car master with 280zx front brakes and drums OR discs ... . . he has NEVER been wrong before..... so... . :unsure:

.... a stock 280zx has a vacuum power brake booster and a 15/16ths master ..... . unless your 510 has a brake booster, it WILL feel like a brick

Does that make sense??? ...... Rock-auto has a 7/8ths bore master for a 1976 280z ........ but I can't guarantee it will work or fit

THANK YOU GUYS ! ! !

I never knew you could use a 280z master, just thought it had to be a 280zx

280z are much more readily available, the ZX are NLA at all the parts stores I've checked at.

Thanks so much, this has been very confusing up untill now. I will wait to hear from hobbes_the_cat how his worked and if it does I'll oder one from napa or schucks!

Thanks again people. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

It took me forever but I finally got the 7/8" 280z master cyl. on my 510 and it works great. the pedal is firm, ALMOST too firm, so I would advise against getting a 15/16" master as that would most likely feel like a brick, unless you have 4 wheel discs. I have 280zx front and stock rear and this setup is perfect.I didn't take any pics but I did have to mix and match a little to fit the 510 push rod, but it was really no big deal.

Hobbes, I have the same setup, did the same mod with a brand new 7/8 master from Napa, easy install and great results!

This IS the way to go for a 510 with 280zx front brakes and stock rears no question.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've driven my car reliably since and it's been great!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.