Picture of torsion bar adjusting bolts on 620

reese

I remember someone was asking where the torsion bar bolts were.. They are the two long bolts on both sides of the driveshaft at the end of the transmission. Jack up the truck to get the wheel off the ground, loosen the lock nut on top, hold the bottom nut and loosen the bolt. For a 2" drop I have about an inch of threads left at the top. I would also remove or shorten the bump stops behind the front shocks so you have some suspension travel again.

2008_02240004.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The fronts bolt on from the top. You gotta clean all 30+ year old grime and road dust to get a socket on the nut. Chances are it will snap the stud and you won't have to work your way thru the rest of the threads. ;)

Gives you like another 1/8" clearance for suspension travel :D

haha i was too chicken too... then i noticed those bolts and thought... i'll try it anyway. it was super easy for me tho, i already had the truck up in the air and since i don't have carpet or anything i just unbolted the access panel around the base of the shifter to loosen (lower) mine. would a lock washer inbetween the nuts be of any use? i've only got about 3 or 4 threads left at the top of the studs and it seemed like i couldn't get the nuts to lock to each other... so i thought about just adding a lock washer in between them and go with that... pointless? good idea? over kill?

If you concerned pick up a nylock nut for the locking nut. Of course, I only had one nut on mine. The bar hanging down made it come apart all the time on speed bumps til I re-indexed the bars. Nut stayed in the same place.

im just confused on re indexing now....do i take them out, then re insert them where i want them making it the new "zero" if you will......if i want i tcranked all the way down, it would look all effed up, and hypothetically be at 28* lower....but i reindex it, and put it in the same spot and wha la! its at zero right?

is that right? im about to go and do them now.... imma try and re-index them same time. should i replace any parts while im down there? i live 3 blocks from the parts store, so i can go and get parts if need be.....thanks guys. oh, and do i completely remove them for a re-indexing, or just pull them out a little and re-install? :mellow:

Sounds like you have the right idea about creating a new "zero" point. it will be obvious as you start to slide it out, they dont have to come all the way. Dont forget to remove the C-clip that is kinda under the little rubber boot on the front side(not in the above pic).

A littel grease on the splines upon reassembly will help it slide easier if you ever need to reindex them again.

Jason

Jack truck up so front suspension is hanging. Remove adjuster bolt(pictured). The adjuster bracket slides through the crossmember. T-bar slides inside of adjuster bracket. C-clip is on the front of the adjuster bracket and at the rear of the t-bar. C-clip keeps this adjuster bracket from sliding out of the crossmember. You need it to slide out of the crossmember to reindex. Little rubber boot that cover the C-clip will slide forward on the T-bar off the front part of the adjuster bracket.

Do not completely remove the second adjuster nut from the bolt unless the bolt is loose also. If the bolt is not loose, it WILL have spring pressure on it still. And that is guaranteed to SMASH your HAND. Fair warning.

Jason

Do not completely remove the second adjuster nut from the bolt unless the bolt is loose also. If the bolt is not loose, it WILL have spring pressure on it still. And that is guaranteed to SMASH your HAND. Fair warning.

Jason

thanks, lol.....i think we can all agree i needed that, i kinda thought that though, but i also thought that about the rears and we all know how that went.....so i slide them out the front or the back?

After you slide the rubber boot forward, scribe a line on the adjuster and the t-bar for later reference. Remove the c-clip and the adjuster bracket will slide out towards the rear of the truck. WD-40 is your friend on this project.

That fair warning was also intended to have future use in the archives of this forum. But i am sure you would prefer to hear it now, rather than later.

But, now i can say "I told you so"

Jason