hot cam?

domn8tr

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lift is not "wild" per se but certainly is very high. It does put a higher stress on the parts but won't affect the street vs strip usage like the duration will. More likely that valves will hit the piston tops. Plus that cam will require special valve spring that will not bind at such a high lift.

Nissan Comp L series valve springs coil stack at .700" lift which leads me to question that the lift is .741".

I'm guessing "7,41 lift" might be at the cam in mm. 7.41mm = .292", with a 1.5 rocker ratio is .438" at the valve, which seems to make more sense.

Another point of consideration is lobe center angle. Street cams like wider lobe centers than race cams. Typically 108-112 lobe centers are used on street cams.

Based on the timing specs you list, the cam has 110 lobe centers and is installed with 5 degrees of advance. Advanced cam timing will shift the power band to a lower RPM range.

If the lift is assumed correctly, this would be a mild street cam with good low to mid-range power, IMO.

It's Crane part# 162-0012 grind # DA-272-2-10 4.71 lift. Cam Card says It requires springs # 99884 and Retainer # 903-0102

PART NUMBER: 162-0012 ENGINE TYPE: MECHANICAL SPECIAL GRINDNO: DA-272-2-10

ENGINE IDENT: 1968-1980 DATSUN-NISSAN "L" 4 CYLINDER 1595-1952 CC SOHC

VALVE SETTING: INTAKE 0.15 MM

EXHAUST

@ VALVE

0.20 MM HOT

INTAKE @ CAM LIFT: EXHAUST @ CAM

CAM TIMING

.254MM @ VALVE LIFT

PART NUMBER

7.41 MM 7.41 MM

INTAKE EXHAUST

11.43MM 11.43MM

ROCKER ARM RATIO

@ VALVE ALL LIFTS ARE BASED ON ZERO LASH AND THEORETICAL ROCKER RATIOS

OPENS CLOSES ADVERTISED DURATION

27 BTDC 65 ABDC 272 ° 72 BBDC 30 ATDC 282 °

SPRING REQUIREMENTS DUAL OUTER

RECOMMENDED RPM

RANGE WITH MATCHING INNER COMPONENTS

CLOSED: OPEN:

TRIPLE

90 LBS 180 LBS

INTAKE EXHAUST

42.1MM @ 31.4MM

OPENS

11 BTDC 56 BBDC

OR

1 21/32

MINIMUM RPM MAXIMUM RPM

VALVE FLOAT

5600 --

LOADS:

@

CAM TIMING @1.0 MM VALVE LIFT

CLOSES

41 ABDC 6 ATDC

MAX LIFT 105°ATDC

115°BTDC

DURATION

232 ° 242 °

TIMING FIGURES MEASURED AT VALVE USING ZERO LASH. RETAINER PART #903-0102 MUST BE USED WITH THE SPRINGS LISTED ABOVE. VALVE LASH CHECKED BETWEEN CAMSHAFT AND FOLLOWER. INSTALL SUPPLIED OIL PLUG.

Domn8tr,

When I said yes it should be streetable I was thinking along the lines of today's trend of hybrid LZ engines, not the older L16 & L18 engines.

Without particular engine details an answer is based on many assumptions. My "yes" was based on an LZ hybrid engine that is "undersquare" (longer stroke than bore) this helps make better bottom end power. The L16 & L18 engines are "oversquare" (bigger bore than stroke) which helps make better top end power at the sacrifice of low end torque. Undersquare engines can use a longer duration cam than oversquare engines on the street because the longer stroke is making low end power when the longer cam duration is shifting power toward the top end.

So without a complete engine description it is very hard to say if your cam grind will work for you or not.

Here is some input from others regarding the 162-0012 Crane cam. Note that all 6 cylinder L series engines are oversquare.

This was posted to the Bluebird List back in January 2000 regarding this cam. The engine was a Z22 block bored .080" with Z24 pistons, L series head and dual 44mm SU's from a Z car.

I selected a somewhat mild cam, Crane #162-0012 .450 lift 292 dur both int. and exh. to best utilize the long stroke of the Z22 crank, it is very torquey in the 2000-5000 rpm range, with the SU's it now pulls all the way to 6500 rpm.

While the P/N is the same, the duration is longer than that shown on the timing card you have. In either case the cam (even a cam at the specs given in the post) is working for this individual on the street.

Here is a link to the whole post:

"LZ22" posted to the BB List 1/25/00

Another online article giving advice on Z car L series engines details a user's experience with the same Crane Cam grind as you have but in a Z car 6 cylinder.

Datsun Z Garage - Performance Mods

In that article they offer the following advice on cam selection.

COMMENT: My feeling is that about 270 advertised degrees (230@.050") of duration is right for street/autocross situations. Datsun race cams from the 1970's would run durations over 300° but those are intended for constant high rpm driving in race prepared motors, not normal street driving.

Many Datsun 510 owners have used a camshaft from Kelvin Dietz called the DAMB Cam. It has a 290 design duration with .540" lift. This cam is very streetable. But most of these were installed in hybrid LZ (undersquare) engines.

Thanks Dave The motor is an L20b which according to SDSurf ( who I bought the 521 from) already had a "B' cam. I've since installed a Peanut head and weber 32/36 and I'm in the process of putting in a dogleg 5 speed and gonna hit Ecology pic a part in search of a 4:11 LSD and some Pathfinder wheels so I can do the disc brake conversion. I'm looking for decent mileage and enough power to haul my vintage two stroke streetbikes around.The cam came in the boxes and boxes of spares that came with my sons recent purchase of an autocross 510 2 door. He's dropping in an SR20DETwink.gif so I get spares!thumbup.gif

power to haul my vintage two stroke streetbikes around

thread Hi jack!!!!!!!

I just sold my 2 strokes Yamahas

RZ350 kenny Roberts

79 Daytona Special

75 Rd350

All L20s have B cams its stock.

olddatsuns.com has my vid on how to ck the cam timming on the first part. Its EZ to see if a tooth off,dial crank to Zero and then ck the cam timming marks. But I have a feeling you know this already since you swap the head and how to line this up.