Iridium spark plugs for KA24E D21

So after checking the NGK book at work a while back, I found the KA24E motor to be one of the few motors that has only 1 sparkplug available according to NGK. I didn't think about it too much, just was rather annoyed. Not like the regular v-powers are bad, especially for my ho-hum non-race motor KAZ24.

Anyway, today, I got a bug up my butt to look further. So I start digging though the catalog, but start looking in the part number to reference number section like I should have in the first place. I ended up finding a heat range 5 plug with a slightly different designation that seemed like it would work. So I grabbed a ZFR5FIX-11 off the shelf, and grabbed a standard ZFR5E-11 (KA24E ONLY). I believe the F is tapered seat, already forgot. Anyway, while the base is quite a bit shorter, the actual electrode end is only slightly shorter. Maybe 1.5 mm or so.

I went to lunch after finding that and thought maybe I should do some Interwebs checking to see if anyone else had used a different plug since I'm not the first one to hot rod a single cam KA. And what do I find? PDM racing sells the 2477 NGK ZFR5IX-11 for the KAEs! :) So I was all excited I found the same information, yet unbeknownst to me. Much less, that means they've tried it before and it obviously works.

Just went out and changed them. Can't wait to see the difference. While that sounds silly with a spark plug, the iridiums made a HUGE difference in the 510. I suspect they will make a quite favorable difference in the truck though I'm not convinced I'll get any more than .0001 more mpg. And then I yanked off a wire and managed to break off the end from the wire. So apparently I need a new set, I'll get that tomorrow at work. Fortunately I had an older set from the 20B that I switched out when chasing the EFI problems, so there's a longer one on there now, but it works just fine. Just have to make sure it doesn't droop on the manifold.

Without further ado, oics!

d21iridiums1.jpg

d21iridiums2.jpg

d21iridiums3.jpg

d21iridiums4.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gonna sound crazy, but, seriously, go buy a factory wire set from nissan. Cap and rotor too. You wont be disappointed. Factory wires are tougher, last longer, and perform better than MOST aftermarket garbage. But i dont see the need for nuclear fusion spark levels with a stock ignition system.

Haha! Don't need to. :D I can get a factory wire set at NAPA. We stock NGK wire sets now. But honestly, the difference between the stock NGK wire set and our Belden premium wires is not that much. The NGK are slightly nicer, but hard to tell the difference in overall construction or performance. I'm still running Beldens on the 510 too. I may go with an NGK set this time around. Heck, the NX got a Nissan factory set, then an NGK set. Factory set was actually Sumitomo if I remember right, but I'd stack the NGK set against them any day.

On the cap and rotor, I'm already rocking Japan. Altrom (our import line) has a pretty decent supply of o.e. Japanese caps and rotors. Spotty though, a lot of stuff they can't get.

And nuclear fusion spark plugs are always better. Ignites the fuel mixture easier, with better results, less waste. Plus the iridiums last about 100k miles.

Case in point, when I had the dual SUs on the 510, I had to run them too rich at idle (lots of cam overlap) because otherwise I would get lean detonation in mid-range. So if the car idled too long, or got too hot, or heatsoaked the carbs, or a pigeon shit on it, it would start to misfire and foul the plugs running standard NGK coppers. It would take 30 seconds or even more running at 3000 rpm to get the cylinders cleared out and have it start running right again.

Switched to iridiums, and boom, problem gone. Still ran pig rich at idle, but it burned every drop. Granted the EFI helped that, but it made a dramatic difference with just the plugs. Which is why I run them in everything. Seriously much better, more conductive spark. It's like a little miniature Kami is running around inside my cylinders with a blow torch!

Ever since I put on my MSD box with coil and 8mm accel wires, I've been curious about how it would run with iridium blink.gif

The fuckin Platinum plugs sound like a TAZER when you ground it and fire it! MSD really makes a huge difference. Maybe with the new LZ20 when It's installed, I'll put Iridiums i it, but the A-series burns so much oil, it seems dumb to waste the money on it. All that extra spark does make a huge difference on how it runs and keeps the plugs nice and clean.

NGK isnt nissan anymore. Matter of fact, i had a set of NGK wired for a KA 16V that was like a shiny set of autozone wires. They have gone the way of the cheap =(

Just look into a nissan set. Construction quality is amazing compared to others. My L motor uses nissan wires, and they had the forethought to epoxy the boot to the cable so you dont rip wires apart.

True. I've had mixed feelings with MSD. Had one on my 620 and it ran great. Tried to put one on the 510 and it killed my Pertronix ignition. Talked to tech support twice with two ways to wire it, still wouldn't work. Finally returned and just did a matchbox, which is working quite well.

I do wonder about the iridium's ability to handle multiple spark as in the MSD box. Should be fine, they had to combine the iridium with some other metal as pure iridium will melt. I would imagine whatever alloy it is is strong enough not to melt.

Ditto that on the cost though. If the motor isn't new, no sense in throwing expensive plugs in. Just change out the coppers every 10,000. I made an exception with the NX because it's still running quite well even with 130k on the clock.

I didn't know NGK was ever Nissan? And I've yanked a set of wires out of the box, I can't find anything wrong with them. Not saying the Nissan set wouldn't be good, but I don't know if they'd even have an OE set for a KA truck. Chances are they might sell something else, boxed as Nissan. I'll call Jaremko and ask them, but a lot of the time, what they're selling is exactly what I'm selling through the Altrom line. In fact, they buy a shitload of remainded inventory from manufacturers. I got a pilot bushing from altrom a year or two ago, still had the Nissan sticker on it, with the altrom sticker over it.

They werent ever 'nissan' i suppose, but they are just not quite as good. Your running premium plugs, why not match with high quality wires? =)

COurtesy has a set, not too spendy either!

Just sayin, i wouldnt hesitate to run em. My 97 D21 perked up BIG time with new NGK plugs and a full Nissan ignition parts tune up.

Yeah, but who makes it is my question? I'm betting it's either Sumitomo or NGK. Looks identical to the NGK sets I have on the shelf. I'll check our local Nissan dealer in the am though. I am curious.

And yes, any car will perk up with good components. If you haven't followed the build thread, this is an all new motor, with all new parts, most of them made in Japan. And I certainly wouldn't hesitate to run a set from Nissan, but that doesn't apply with all things.

For example oil filters. Nissan oil filters are not as good as NAPA Golds (Wix). Reason being the dealers got cheap or someone backed out, in any case, a "Nissan" oil filter now is not made by Nissan or by anyone important. They're an ok filter, but they're not the best. I think they made the switch to not supply dealers with OE filters about 5 years ago.

And then I yanked off a wire and managed to break off the end from the wire. So apparently I need a new set,

Without further ado, oics!

d21iridiums4.jpg

I have had about this same luck with Belden wires, just garbage.

Time to learn how to crimp your own ends on plug wires.

Awwww man, don't kick me in the NAPA nuts yello! :D Honestly, I don't think Beldens are bad wires (they're way better than the mileage plus), but I yanked this one off. Then again, I think it depends. I didn't have the best grip on it. I've yanked the Belden set off the 510 for maintenance a dozen times and haven't broken a wire yet. Maybe I'll try an NGK set next just to compare. Though I should put it on the 510 since it already has the iridiums. Changing the wire set on the truck now with better plugs isn't a very good test.

While maintaining the Belden sets aren't bad, it is hard to deny that things keep getting cheaper with all the damn competition and everyone demanding 2 cent spark plugs with the economy and all. I wouldn't doubt quality is suffering. However, like I said, the 510 still runs great with the Beldens, no issues.

blink.gif I forgot who makes our wires at AZ, but if you don't remove them a lot then the crimp holds well. never seen a set fail

now BOSCH is on a whole other lever... Fucking hate there wires. Went to pull my wire in the AZ parking lot to pull my plug and look at it before I bought new ones, ripped the wire right off...

bought a $34 set of 8mm Accel and super satisfied.

blink.gif

now BOSCH is on a whole other lever... Fucking hate there wires. Went to pull my wire in the AZ parking lot to pull my plug and look at it before I bought new ones, ripped the wire right off...

bought a $34 set of 8mm Accel and super satisfied.

Good to know ,,, thought I was the only one that happened to :blink: :rolleyes: ... of course I didn't use the suggested grease either :lol: ... shame ,,, shame on me

Good to know ,,, thought I was the only one that happened to :blink: :rolleyes: ... of course I didn't use the suggested grease either :lol: ... shame ,,, shame on me

That's just out WITTDTJR items. What it takes to do the job right. We get points for selling that stuff. I hate it.

But honestly, it does help and it's only $1.29 for it

That's just out WITTDTJR items. What it takes to do the job right. We get points for selling that stuff. I hate it.

But honestly, it does help and it's only $1.29 for it

good to know ^^^

while it may help ,,, I think u hit it right on the head the first time ,,,, they r shit :lol: ,,, many many many brands/older wires have NEVER done that to me ,,, and how many people actually use the grease/does it stay on the connections ,,,, :)

Accel is pretty good eh ?

Actually, metalmonkey is right. That grease is dielectric silicone grease and it surely does help to keep the connectors clean, and helps against water getting in if you're 4xing. The Belden wires we sell come with a little package of it in there. Of course, do I use it on my cars? Nope, I always forget and they run fine. That stuff won't run off though. It's good to 600 degrees, and if your wires are getting that hot, you have other issues.

I just called Nissan and inquired about the wires. One, they don't stock any sets here in Spokane since they don't usually sell them, two, they don't say who makes them, my guy told me there's about three different manufacturers they use. So I'll be getting myself the NGK set from work and that ought to do just fine.

Got wireset 9177 (NGW line code) from the main store on my way to Post Falls this morning. Genuine NGK wire set, made in Japan right on the front of the box. OE fitment, and quality. Labeled 1,2,3,4 even. Though since I reclocked the dist with the KAZ24, I had to switch 2 and 3, so it doesn't look correct. :) Anyway, they're about 50 bucks for regular retail customers. So there you go!

• 2 weeks later...