wet sand and polishing 510 steps after hours

tycot1

if anyone saw my paint thread on my disco bob sharp paint job a few months ago you will be familiar with my car. i have been delaying putting on my badges because i have been unsure if i was going to wet sand and polish the car. well i have decided since i have the means to do the job i am going to do it. we are in the finishing stages of a 66 beaumont resto and dont have another collision job coming in until monday april 25th and a 68 mustang fastback on may 2nd i have a little time. the first pics are just of the cars orange peel paint that i want gone. sunday i washed, dried, masked and removed some trim from the car and set it up in the booth. last night i stayed late and got the first 1200 grit cut finished. tomorrow night i will get 1500, 2000, 2500 and a good wash done then friday start the machine polishing. i will post more tomorrow night. IMG_0985.jpgIMG_0983.jpgIMG_0987.jpgIMG_0993.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so last night i stayed at the shop until 11:30 and got another 5 1/2 hours in. i sanded with 1500, 2000, 2500 and gave the car a good wast for polishing prep today and tomorrow. before i left today a squeezed in 1.5 hours and got the course cut done on the roof and half of the trunk lid. tomorrow i will finish the course, fine and glaze cuts. first pic is the car sanded to 1200, the next two are staged up to 2500, you can see the tighter surface as the scratches get finer. IMG_1051.jpgIMG_1062.jpgIMG_1065.jpg

first cut, course cut finished on roof. look at the wire in the safety glass in the second pic. IMG_1080.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1090.jpg trunk lid half done, you can see the difference to the quarter panel.

you are right, this process most definitely allows the spectrum of the pearls and metallics to show true without being distorted by orange peel. here are the pics of the first course cut finished. IMG_1114.jpgIMG_1111.jpg

you are right, this process most definitely allows the spectrum of the pearls and metallics to show true without being distorted by orange peel. here are the pics of the first course cut finished. IMG_1114.jpgIMG_1111.jpg

here is the car after the second medium cut and the third glaze cut complete. i forgot to take pics of the car after the second cut as the wife was hounding me to hurry up. IMG_1116.jpg     IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1139.jpgIMG_1123.jpg

here are some pics after i applied the decals to advertise my business. i had planned to use the number plates for this purpose, i got to tear of the ugly window decals too. IMG_1131.jpg car looks like a cartoon now. IMG_1136.jpgIMG_1137.jpg time invested up to now is; 3.5 hrs cleaning, washing, mirror and hood vent removal, drying and masking. 5 hrs doing the 1200 first wet sand cut with wash after. 5.5 hrs doing 1500, 2000, 2500 wet sand with unmasking wet paper and a good wash. 6 hrs remasking, course, medium and fine cuts with a quick wash and unmask. 4 hrs decal application, good wash and some trim assembly. so 24 hours up to now this past week. i still have to wax and finish lots of trim, badges, door speaker wiring and door panels. anyways, thanks for looking. tyson

IMG_0985.jpg      this is before. IMG_1114.jpg      this is after. peel be gone!  you can see the painted black striping is not totally flat but way better than before i started, i can live with this.   IMG_1139.jpg      lights are nice and crisp.

here is the car as finished as it gets for now. i got all the decals on, the door wiring and panels done waxed, badges and the scratch tape on today. ready for the all japanese meet this weekend. IMG_1189.jpgIMG_1191.jpg