How to lube this idler bering

I took a picture of the new and old bearing. This is pressed into the idler pulley and held in with a snap ring. The old bearing failed, I attempted to get a new sealed bearing, but none of the local parts suppliers could get anything but the open one. It has a flimsy dust shield for one side, but the side next to the support and adjustment arm is open. I can only imagine that this one will fail in short order since it is exposed to the elements. I decided to use some synthetic spray grease chain lube I used on my race karts. But what would be the best lube for the long term?

imag0010z.jpg

The bearing number is 303, so if you know of a source for a sealed bearing, let me know. Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried taking measurements of the bearing and getting a sealed one by dimension?

I would imagine that if that's what came off, that's what should go back on. I would do a little research before putting anything on it, though. A lubricant may draw and trap contaminants and do the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. Were there at one point dust shields on both sides?

Also, I'm sure there are some forums online that discuss AC systems and components if you can't find a satisfactory answer here.

Have you tried taking measurements of the bearing and getting a sealed one by dimension?

I invested a couple of hours at several parts stores, only O'Rilley could even find it in some giant bearing book and ordered it for me. Nothing showed up on the vehicle look up.

I would imagine that if that's what came off, that's what should go back on. I would do a little research before putting anything on it, though. A lubricant may draw and trap contaminants and do the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. Were there at one point dust shields on both sides?

Who Knows what was on there originally? I'd bet that many of the AC systems were aftermarket and somewhat regional in their components. Probably only a very few diesel's were ever sold with AC. The reason I used the chain lube, it is sopposed to be hydrophobic, and not pick up dirt like normal grease. I don't know, just trying to keep it alive for the long term.

Also, I'm sure there are some forums online that discuss AC systems and components if you can't find a satisfactory answer here.

I'm going to try some lawn / garden and AG places next, just to see if a sealed bering or something with a shield is available.

Applied.com

I have a local distributor but they have a website, they can almost always get you what you want. And the fact you have a replacement bearing number should make it easy. Oh, and they do have a phone number to help you order bearings also.

I have no idea how to link to websites huh.gif

Geezus, are you kidding me no one can find you one? It's a 6303-2RSJ, (2RSJ indicates rubber double-sided seal) bearing of the same variety you have shown there. I probably have one on the shelf at my NAPA, but I'm not there so I can't check. :D

Note, there are only so many roller bearing sizes and styles. It's pretty easy if you sling 'em all day. ;)

You want more impressiveness? 2-75001 is the part number for the pressure relief valve on a Cummins, Fuel fill neck hose are part nos 1130, 1135, 1140, standard Chevy/Nissan u-joint is a 369, fuel filter for standard mid 80s-90s chev is 3481, Cummins oil filter is 1607, I HAVE SO MANY FING PART NUMBERS IN MY HEAD IT'S A WONDER I CAN THINK AT ALL!! :rofl:

Geezus, are you kidding me no one can find you one? It's a 6303-2RSJ, (2RSJ indicates rubber double-sided seal) bearing of the same variety you have shown there. I probably have one on the shelf at my NAPA, but I'm not there so I can't check. :D

Note, there are only so many roller bearing sizes and styles. It's pretty easy if you sling 'em all day. ;)

You want more impressiveness? 2-75001 is the part number for the pressure relief valve on a Cummins, Fuel fill neck hose are part nos 1130, 1135, 1140, standard Chevy/Nissan u-joint is a 390, fuel filter for standard mid 80s-90s chev is 3481, Cummins oil filter is 1607, I HAVE SO MANY FING PART NUMBERS IN MY HEAD IT'S A WONDER I CAN THINK AT ALL!! :rofl:

LOL jeeeeezus man.

What's the NGK part number for the platinums on a late 90's Chevy 350? :rofl: Or how about the battery class of Ford F150's and Exploders? Those are easy ones laugh.gif

You know, I don't know the NGK number off hand , but the AC plugs should be like an R43TS or something. And yeah, group 65s all day long. Those suckers sell great! But I did screw up, you'll notice in the quote I put 390. That's actually a Toyota u joint I looked up earlier, it's a 369 for the Chevy/Datsun, which I think crosses to a 1310 Spicer, or maybe a 1210. We don't use the Spicer numbers much, can't remember.

Hey Metalmonkey, do you guys have books at AZ, or is it strictly computer? They keep threatening to get rid of the books, and we tell them to F off, it's the only way to find things. Our NAPA computer system is useless for anything other than simple crap. The other day I had a guy come in for a bleeder screw for a caliper on a 2003 Grand Am. Look in the computer and it says we don't have any. I call bs, go get the United book and open it up, get the dial caliper, measure his bleeder screw, find a 10x1 metric screw with the same length, bingo bango, done. F that computer!

Hey Metalmonkey, do you guys have books at AZ, or is it strictly computer? They keep threatening to get rid of the books, and we tell them to F off, it's the only way to find things. Our NAPA computer system is useless for anything other than simple crap. The other day I had a guy come in for a bleeder screw for a caliper on a 2003 Grand Am. Look in the computer and it says we don't have any. I call bs, go get the United book and open it up, get the dial caliper, measure his bleeder screw, find a 10x1 metric screw with the same length, bingo bango, done. F that computer!

Books? Hell no! We run a system called 'Z-net'. I know, computers suck for parts look-up, but our system is great. It literally never proved to be a challenge. It's organized and well designed. I can look up torque specs, firing order, cooling system capacity, you name it! Hell, I can even cross-reference all kinds of parts like relays, EGR valves, etc. We also have a full database of OBD2 codes. Not that I need it, I can pretty much tell you what any code means by now :rofl: It helps that it's well put together though. Makes working through it all so much easier.

We do have a few books on the shelf, but most of them are aftermarket accessories. Holley, Edelbrock, Zex, NOS, you name it. Hell, we can even order SOME rims. unsure.gif

Yeah, we have a limited availability of Mitchell's on demand for looking up capacities and firing orders and all that. I actually get slightly irritated when people ask for those things. Seriously, if you don't know how to do the job, why are you attempting to fuck it up? Like head bolt torques. First question I ask is did you surface the head or check it for warpage? Usually the answer is huh? Then I explain if you blow a head gasket on an aluminum head and you don't check the surface for warping, you're going to be doing the job over and all your effort is for shit because it's not straight and it will never seal. Buy a haynes manual, do it right, or take it to a mechanic.

Seriously, how hard is it to put a straight-edge across a head and measure underneath it with a .003 feeler gauge? Well, to an imbecile who only knows how to tighten and loosen bolts, it's pretty hard. Guess I should be happy those imbeciles create more work for the next owner and that lets me sell more parts! :D

Our cross-reference is pretty good for most things, but there are a lot of things (like Nissan part numbers) that just plain don't cross, or FelPro doesn't offer them. As much as FelPro makes good quality gaskets, they're just plain worthless for availability. Just like trying to find the oil filter housing adapter gasket for the KA. FelPro doesn't make it, though I think it might have been in a full gasket kit. But you can't order it separately.

HRH, NAPA was my 1st stop. The guy wanted make model year, said nothing found. I asked if the number on the bearing would help. They looked for a couple of minutes and the experience guy (my age) said they could not help, never went to a book. Said to go to O'Rilley! Then went to Advance, next closest, same thing, not showing in computer. Then went to O'Rilley, at least the guy had the huge books to look in, took a long time flipping through pages, finally found it, ordered the part, said he could not find a sealed bearing. I think that one day, we will regret it when all of the old timers are gone and no one knows how to cross reference a part or even knows what a Datsun is.

Thanks for the PN, I'll go by MM's AZ perhaps today and have him get me one.

Yeah, it's sad, like we've discussed before, PEOPLE make the parts store, not the parts. The funny thing is, while I'm a parts nut, I work with my Datsun guru's brother-in-law, and that guy can remember part numbers and obscure crap 10 times better than I can. Of course, he's been doing it 20 more years than me.

Hopefully you'll have better experiences in the future, but there are those people who just shouldn't be in parts....who are in parts. :D (I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say he was having an off day. I've had one or two of those myself.)

Hey, if you do go into that NAPA again with a bearing, tell them to find their Seal and Bearing spec book which lists bearings by dimensions. They'll need a set of calipers too. I hope they have those down there! And our headquarters are in Atlanta, go figure.

Also try a BCA 203ff or 203ss, most of those idler pulleys use the same bearing. As long as the main number is right youre OK, the letter just refer to the seal material. The other option is go sealless and oil it every week or so :) You can go on BCA website and punch in specs to get a part number, BCA being a subsidiary of federalmogul. Try here

http://ecatalog.fede...onal%20Bearings

That's a journal roller bearing btw for cataloging referance