Lube Throwout Bearing in truck

In my 520 with the L18/U67 swap, it sat a long time and I registered it today and just got back from a cruise. My clutch pedal doesn't engage until the end. Can you put grease into the throwout bearing area through the clutch fork area with a grease gun and needle tip?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what 'doesn't engage until the end' means. If you mean the clutch engages very close to the floor then yes bleed the slave. If you mean it engages with the peddle very close to the top of it's travel there's not much you can do. As long as it is gripping fully and not slipping just leave it.

The only reason to lube the throwout bearing is if it's binding or if it's noisy. I'd say you have an issue of slave or master or air in the line. Usually the slave just takes a poop and recycles on itself and leaks out fluid. Sometimes not super noticeable.

As far as not taking stuff apart and lubing the throwout bearing, you can, but you have to be exceedingly careful and I have only done it once, with motorcycle chain lube and a long straw through the clutch fork housing. I wouldn't recommend it unless trying to cure a noisy bearing, and even then it's a dicey situation because any spray oil has the potential to get on the clutch and make things unpleasant.