Damn Timeouts!!!!!

Yo, forum admins. Any way to lengthen the time before auto-logging off folks? I am continually getting kicked off whilst reading long threads and/or replying, which screws up "New Posts" when I log back in. I know you don't want folks logging on forever, but how about more than the current 5 or 10 minute timeout?

Just sayin'..... :cool:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three computers I use. Two desktops, and a laptop. I live in the world of crappy dial-up connections. One of the desktops is running a Linux operating system, and it rarely ever times out on me. The two other computers are running Windows 98SE2, and 2000 pro.

The windows computers time out often enough that I now do most of my internet surfing on the Linux box. Ratsun.net is not the only site the Windows boxes time out on. Other sites also run on the Linux box, without timeing out.

I do not think the timeout problem is a Ratsun.net problem

I do. My theory is based on how many other forums I visit run off the same setup as ratsun.net and I dont have this problem with those sites, just this one. lol. It just makes me browse really fast though and that makes the GF happy when she needs to use the comp. peace.

I don't have this problem on here. This is what I do.. My link that I use to access the forum is http://forum.ratsun.net/search.php?do=getnew

When you click that link it is the same as pressing the New Posts link at the top of the page. The forum then returns a link that looks like http://forum.ratsun.net/search.php?searchid=73326

Now, from here I open a new tab in my web browser for each thread I want to look at and then close each tab after I view it. The keyboard shortcuts make this incredibly fast to open in new tab, read, and close.

Hope this helps or provides some insight...

no, it doesnt actually log you out. It just times out and makes all the new posts dissapear. I just usually end up looking at when they were last modified and thats how I tell if they're new posts or not. peace.

Yeah, exactly. Guess I shoulda titled it "Damn Logoffs!!!! " :lol:

I do. My theory is based on how many other forums I visit run off the same setup as ratsun.net and I dont have this problem with those sites, just this one. lol.

Yup. I'm on a lot of forums and lists (which is why the car work ain't getting done, lol), and this is the only one that does this shit.

I don't have this problem on here. This is what I do..

[snip]

Hope this helps or provides some insight...

Interesting. I'll have to try that unless the admins can figure out what's causing this abbynormal behavior.