74 620 front disc brake conv.

jnec510

i picked up a little orange 620 yesterdeay an am siked on her. she runs great with a l20b an z 5sp. but she dont stop worth a damn. i was wonder if i could do a cheap front disc brake conversion useing some of the newer 620 or 720 stuff. i did hit the search button but didnt find what i was looking for. thanks in advanved for the help. once i line up front brakes, tie rod ends, new seats, and wiper blades i plan on starting a build thread once i decide the direction im going with her.

thanks jason

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For better searching, search in google. Type in your search term followed by ";ratsun.net" (with no quotation marks) and you'll have much better luck. This forum doesn't even show me all of the threads I've started....I have to use google to find them! :(

Simple answer....no you can not just swap parts. Beebani offers upper control arms that allow you to do it.....probably search ball joint swap to find those.

Having just completed the ball joint disc brake swap, I know where you are coming from. The search function here is hit or miss. I had a hard time finding the needed info in in one thread. Anyways, my suggestion would be to use Mike's kit as long as your suspension is in good shape. It's a much easier conversion with plenty of feedback. If your truck is like mine was, and the bushings/kingpins/shafts are worn, it is probably better to convert over to the ball joint stuff, but you will need to track down a lot more parts.

Mark

i picked up a little orange 620 yesterdeay an am siked on her. she runs great with a l20b an z 5sp. but she dont stop worth a damn. i was wonder if i could do a cheap front disc brake conversion useing some of the newer 620 or 720 stuff. i did hit the search button but didnt find what i was looking for. thanks in advanved for the help. once i line up front brakes, tie rod ends, new seats, and wiper blades i plan on starting a build thread once i decide the direction im going with her.

thanks jason

The 620 will stop pretty good if the drum brakes are in good shape and properly adjusted. .... and there's the problem. The fronts do 80% of the work stopping a vehicle and drum brakes need adjusting every couple of months. So slowly they get poorer and poorer and in an emergency they are often lacking. Disc brakes are self adjusting and so are always at 100% performance.

• Like 1