1978 electro dist.

Okie510

So out of pure stupidity last night I accidentally hot the purchase button on my phone for an ebay item.... A 1978 datsun 620 electronic distributor, the one that requires an outside ignition control box. After reading a bit about the mistake I had made, is there any hope for it being mounted in my '72 510 with a L20b motor in it. Or should I chalk it up as a learning experience, eat the $80 and go on my merry little way? I do plan on changing my distro over to a electro sooner then later. And the olddatsun.com tech write up doesn't discuss these distros.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I have been doing a little bit of reading since I made this mistake. Apparently it is gonna cost me a fair bit to get this working correctly, that being said, I found that Mallory Ignition makes a distributor. I guess what I should be asking is 1: what is my best bet in this situation 2: what is the best option for me, I firmly believe in doing it right the first time and making it run correctly. I want to make my engine rev not only higher but quicker, I plan on out running these freaking dodge diesels here in oklahoma!!

If you have already comitted $80 then what's another $20? The HEI module is in every Chev in the wrecking yards and they fit perfectly in your back pocket. All you need is a Nissan coil from late '70 or the 80s... $10 and do some wiring and you're done. Mallory distributor is no better than the stock EI that Nissan makes.

The EI dizzy won't make it rev faster, maybe higher, but it does eliminate the points and give a stronger spark. By itself it's not that noticeable but if you have plans to build your motor up, it's the one to have.

The motor in my car is a L20b with dual solex carbs, I believe 40 or 44mm, it has some aluminum parts in the valveage but not 100% for sure what all has been done to the engine. I can't imagine someone would do all that work and spend money not to do something to the engine. But here are a few pics.

2011-03-03_15-24-37_719.jpg

2011-03-03_15-24-26_300.jpg