6 lug to 4 lug conversion

Eastcoast521

OK, I'm probably going to get a little crap for considering this on my truck but I want to do the Beebani front disc brake conversion and the stock wheels won't fit. I would like to put different wheels on it anyway and I just happen to have a complete set of 16" wheels (4x100) from an 80's turbo Shelby and I think they would look good on the 521. On the front I figured that it may be possible to find a 4 lug hub that fits the 521 spindle and works with the Beebani bracket. On the back I can re-drill the drum setup.

Does anyone have any 4-lug hubs and a 521 hub to compare? It's a long shot but thought I'd ask.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I asked a few machine shops about doing this, same bolt patterns even, on a D21 years ago I was told there wasn't enough metal and space to safely do any * x 100 lug pattern. Not sure if the 521 era parts are any different though, I kinda doubt it.

first thing I thought of....411 hubs or roadster hubs. They use the same out bearing as the truck, but the inner bearing is a bit smaller....I don't know by how much off hand. The possibility exists to turn the truck spindle a bit smaller. You'd still be stuck with trying to convert the hub to 4x100.

What about wheel adapters?

It doesn't take much to make the truck spindle fit mustang II hubs....is there a 4x100 option on those hubs? Check out 808DA6's build thread on his truck for more info on the mustang II conversion. :)

Thanks Datzenmike but I'm not crazy about any of the Chevy wheels I've seen and I kinda like the wheels I have and they are free and different.

Mklotz70, I did find adapters but they are 2" thick and cost $120 a piece. I'll look into your other suggestions but finding roadster or 411 hubs in this area is probably not going to happen. Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming.

What about the mustang option? I'd bet the 5 lug hub used the same bearings as the 4 lug hub.......so it would be the same process to convert. ...hhmm...quick search on the net shows a 4.25" bolt pattern on the mustang 4 lug hubs.

The inner bearing on the 521 is unique....you're not going to find any other hub to fit it without modification to the hub or spindle. You won't be able to use Bee's bracket if you change the rotor. If you find a hub with bearings that have a larger ID than the 521's, adapters can be made and it might possibly work.....but they're all going to be car hubs, which will most likely use smaller bearings.

My brake kits fit stock rims, but if you're looking to change rims, you might as well go with his($100 cheaper) and put that toward rims.

Here's a link to some new wheels very similar to the ones I have that are 4 lug. these are not too expensive so I may go this route. What do you think of these on a 521?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16x8-Black-Wheel-American-Eagle-100-6x5-5-/200587473161?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb3f1f109