520/521 hubs

I am working on the 520. I have grease melting out of the hub, so I am guessing it is time to do the bearings. I have all the parts, and even an extra set of hubs from a 521. My assumption is that it doesn't make a bit of difference which hub goes on which side. They are not marked, and I really have no idea which one went on which side originally. I am also assuming they will work on the 520 spindle.

Can someone confirm my assumptions?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I know how to pack a bearing, but I have never started from scratch before. So to add a dumb question to the first, how much grease needs to be in the hub cavity between the bearings? I have heard the too much creates too much heat. Too little, not enough lube. Recommendations?

Done. New, smooth rolling bearings. Haven't driven it yet, so I won't crow too loud. But they sure roll nice when I spin the wheel. Now if my fuel pump holds oil I am back in business and hopefully nothing will need attention for a little bit. I have lots of honey do's I've been neglecting. I have overspent my Datsun capital with the wife.:mellow:

Here is a picture of the front hib, from the factory service manual.

FrontHub.jpg

The manual says to also apply the bearing grease to the spindle, and all parts. Also fill all the spaces in between the rollers of the of the bearings with grease.

Tighten the spindle nut to 23.1 to 24.6 foot pounds of torque. Turn the several times in both directions. Recheck the torque on the spindle nut. If it is loose, tighten it again, and turn the hub some more. Keep doing this until the torque on the nut holds.

Back off the spindle nut 40 to 70 degrees. The hub should spin with a new bearing and seal with 13 inch pounds or less, or with a used bearing and seal with 6 inch pounds or less. If you do not have a inch pound torque wrench, the manual says the hub should spin with a 4.6 pound weight at the hub bolt, (lug nut bolt), new parts, or a 2.2 pound weight, used parts, or less.