probably been asked b4

SHADY280

so i got an 82 z 5 speed laying around, my truck has been nagging me to put it in. ive read it fits, but, what do i do as far as the clutch actuating cylinder goes and throw out bearing? use the one from the 4 speed, or use the stuff from the 5 speed, or a combo there of? i couldnt find it easy so i ask, i know that could be seen as lazy, but you guys are just too smart to pass up the chance to quiz you!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 or 620? If for a 521 read this thread..i did the swap already...

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=523

If for a 620 the mods needed should be close.

Youll want to use the TRUCK clutch slave........

Youll want to use the TRUCK throw out bearing......

Youll also need a longer speedo cable...the 4 speed one will work but needs to be re-routed.

its going into a 75 620 reg. cab short box. the tranny is late model 280zx, 82 type. i got z speedo cable if required, but if all i got to do is re-route, and swap the gear, then thats o.k. i dont know how good the clutch is, it feels o.k. so im gonna chance that one, but am going to get the flywheel lightened a bit just help the rpms, screw drivability.

o.k then, so just swap the slave, throwout (gonna get new) and im good, does the throwout include swaping the arm and the thing it sits on? (cant remember name) i was thinking of getting a 1 piece shaft made one day, just to eliminate the carrier. its not like its a long truck or anything. any disadvantages to that? oh one more, how bout the shifter location and how it fits/ length in cab? sorry last coupla questions b4 im ready!

In order of asked....

yes use the TRUCK slave not the Z one, if you hold them side by side youll see. The hose on the Z unit WILL rub the torsion bar/not work.

Good idea on buying a new T/O bearing, take the old one in to make sure they sell you the right part....

The "clutch fork" wont need to be replaced but inspect it good for cracks & or wear on the "ears" [2 parts that push the T/O bearing]. Mine broke last Dec. & had to trailer it home...

Id stay w/ a 2 piece shaft...if you lower it more that 4 inches the 1 piece shaft more than likely rub against the bottom of the cab....

The shifter will sit back a few inches & youll need to cut the cover plate a little. Easy & can be done w/ snips...

factory tunnel opening w/ Z 5 speed installed....i believe the shifter sits back 2 or 3 inches.....

5-85speedshifterin.jpg

In order of asked....

yes use the TRUCK slave not the Z one, if you hold them side by side youll see. The hose on the Z unit WILL rub the torsion bar/not work.

Good idea on buying a new T/O bearing, take the old one in to make sure they sell you the right part....

The "clutch fork" wont need to be replaced but inspect it good for cracks & or wear on the "ears" [2 parts that push the T/O bearing]. Mine broke last Dec. & had to trailer it home...

Id stay w/ a 2 piece shaft...if you lower it more that 4 inches the 1 piece shaft more than likely rub against the bottom of the cab....

The shifter will sit back a few inches & youll need to cut the cover plate a little. Easy & can be done w/ snips...

factory tunnel opening w/ Z 5 speed installed....i believe the shifter sits back 2 or 3 inches.....

5-85speedshifterin.jpg

If i remember correctly the shifter position will stay the same as long as you are removing a long tail 4 speed and installing a long 5 spd.

If you remove a short tail 4spd and install a long tail 5 spd the shifter will move a few inches.