motor been sitting

sdsurf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull the plugs, put a spray of wd-40 down there and turn it by hand first, dont use the starter. change oil and the usual tune up stuff, new gas, new battery, and maybe rebuild the carb, try running first b4 that tho, sometimes they work fine for years after.

Half fill a new oil filter and install it. When changing the oil, pour the rest over the cam and valve train, get some down the timing chain too. If points, replace so you get as quick a start as possible. Use the old fuel filter to catch any crap and replace later. Borrow a known good carb to start with.

Running in neutral will spin the trans gears and lube them, but the output shaft seal may have dried out and start to leak. Easy fix and nothing to worry about right now.

mine sat ~10 years.

i had the plugs out and used marvel mystery oil.

def hand crank only, after new oil dumped over everything.

put the plugs back in after oil pressure registers, & i changed it after ~3 hours running.

also flush the coolant/radiator. my head gasket lasted ~800 mi and the motor is still going strong otherwise, ~2k since the HG :cool:

The best thing I can tell you if your planning on keeping the motor in the truck. If you didnt build it, CHECK the thing out which means go buy a gasket set and tear it down if the motor is out of the vehicle. If its not out of the vehicle and you dont want to tear it down then I would use Marvel Mystery oil. I have used it before and its great stuff. Drain all the gas out of tank and lines and carb. Put new oil and filter in before next step. Squirt some mystery oil in the cylinders and trun over by hand. Pull the plugs of course before you crank it over. After you crank it over a by hand a bit, go ahead and crank it with the starter but with no plugs in. If you have an oil light on the dash then turn it over till it goes out this means you have oil pressure. If you dont have the light you may have a guage. If you have niether then crank it over for about 20 seconds. This should be enough time for pressure to build. Basic tune up like you say, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, condensor and points, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant, hoses(fuel/coolant) etc. Put all the new stuff in I just listed if possible and try to start it. Remember gas need to get to the carb yet, so it might not start right off the bat.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
The best thing I can tell you if your planning on keeping the motor in the truck. If you didnt build it, CHECK the thing out which means go buy a gasket set and tear it down if the motor is out of the vehicle. If its not out of the vehicle and you dont want to tear it down then I would use Marvel Mystery oil. I have used it before and its great stuff. Drain all the gas out of tank and lines and carb. Put new oil and filter in before next step. Squirt some mystery oil in the cylinders and trun over by hand. Pull the plugs of course before you crank it over. After you crank it over a by hand a bit, go ahead and crank it with the starter but with no plugs in. If you have an oil light on the dash then turn it over till it goes out this means you have oil pressure. If you dont have the light you may have a guage. If you have niether then crank it over for about 20 seconds. This should be enough time for pressure to build. Basic tune up like you say, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, condensor and points, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant, hoses(fuel/coolant) etc. Put all the new stuff in I just listed if possible and try to start it. Remember gas need to get to the carb yet, so it might not start right off the bat.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Agree with the above with the exception that i would dump the Marvel mystery oil in the night before and let it soak.

• 2 weeks later...

Got truck number two and the engine appears frozen. I can't turn it over by hand with a socket... The L20B is out of a different truck and as of an hour ago is sitting with MM oil. Turns over fine. I think I will pull the motor and use evrything from motor #1 on the L20B and pop her in... Next is we'll see...

L16 intake and exhaust will fit fine on the L20B, right?

L16 mani's are non emissions and very simple.I say fuck anything that ever came stock on a l20b.Too much crap.No such thing as a peanut mani.The peanut is the cylinder head.

A l16 intake is sort of going backwards since it has very small ports but,it is easy to port out and has no odd attatchments.The exhaust mani is the best there is.

At least take the head off and check it out for water damage or crap inside.I killed a perfectly good used L20b by trusting it to be good.It had old broken spark plugs in it that just got replaced.I went to the trouble of installing it to fire it off and watch it kill itself.Ran great but clacked at high rpm and eventually battered the pistons and sidewalls.