Help Needed ASAP

scrubba_16

Hey Guys, I have a 79 620 long 5 hook ute. I seem to be coming up against a major issue, It had a J15 and I am now adding an L20b EFI turbo to it with a 5 speed. The engine and gearbox originally came from a bluebird, Im not exactly sure how easy the transplant will be and what is required.

I would appreciate all help as it is needed.

I was told it would be a direct bolt in. I mounted the 5 speed on the old motor mounts and this doesnt seem to leave a whole lot of room up front for the motor.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Am Assuming You Are Not In The US Since Your Truck Is A Ute, But The Trucks In The US Have l20b/5 Speed Factory..

You Should Just Be Able To Make New Motor Mounts And You're Ready To Go :lol:

Here's An OIC Of Mine (Ignore The Arrow)

DSC03103.jpg

There were only 2 frame lengths. The SWB, which of course was only used for regular cab/regular bed trucks, and the LWB, which was used for Long Bed, King Cab, and outside the US for 4-doors (with an even shorter bed).

A Ute Is Basically Has One Body, Unlike A Truck Has A Cab And A Bed...

Also Check Out http://www.olddatsuns.com/620specs.htm

I would think it would just require the right motor mounts and a drive shaft length change.

The L-series non-turbo was the only engine available for the 620 in the US market. Both the L18 and L20b were shipped with it. I have not heard much about the transmission mount when people change to a Z-car 5speed. Its either easy to make it fit or it just fits. Most people get discouraged by having to have the drive shaft shortened.

Were the 620's available with any version of L-series there? If so try a set of those motor mounts. I think they are different left to right so write which side they came off of when you pull them.

If you can't find a set down under you can post in the Classified section on this forum and im sure someone will try to ship them to you.

Oh we would like some pictures of your Truck ur Car.

-Avery

Which transmission are you using now? Is it a long tail or a short tail?

I'm wondering if maybe the transmission behind the J15 was a short tail and if the crossmember is different for that drivetrain. Not sure though, 79 620 over here came stock with the L20B and a long tail transmission.

Hey, its a long tail. we only came standard with a J15. I the stock engine mounts of that motor are the same as the L20B just 1 of the holes needs to be drilled out a little to make it a bit higher.

the trans is a 5 peed out of a series 2 or 3 910 bluebird. I am gonna keep on moving with this as this is the only one in Adelaide that Im sure of that will not be 100% molested. LOL

Im pretty good with a welder and steel for me is easy to get as I work for Bluescope steel. I will have to get it all in and then get the shaft shortened.

Thanks for your help. if any one has a pic of what the motor and gearbox looks like in the chassis I could work of that.

Cheers

Hey Guys, I am now having a spot of difficulty with this farkin intake manifold. the wanker sold me the wrong one, he has dissapeared. I donthave a clue of what I should do. Any ideas?

also what kinda steel would i use to fab an exhaust manifold.

Mild for the exhaust flange is ok. Stainless would be best for a turbo setup so you don't have to replace it every two years. The intake and exhaust share bolts so make sure you make it the same thickness in those areas.

Any L series 4cylinder EFI manifold should work. If you can get them pretty easy I would like to buy one off you. If you can't find one you can cut up a L24 or L26 EFI manifold and make it fit.

Please post pics.

Upload your photo's to something like photo bucket or picasa and then copy the embedded image link and press that button that looks like a picture of a tree when you type your post, and paste the link in there.

-Dime

I am going to guess you want to get motor mounts that hold the L-16, or L-18 engine in the 620 trucks in the states, and shorten the transmission mount.

Since none of here in the states have to deal with the J-15 engine in a 620 truck, we are not 100% sure what you need to fit a L-Engine in to the UTE you have.

The last Datsun truck that had a J-13 engine was the 1967 520 truck. There are also a few 521 trucks with the J-13 engine. My impression is that it is more difficult to put a five speed in one of these trucks.

To swap a five speed into a 521, with a L engine is pretty easy. I did that to my 521 many years ago. I used a "longshaft" 5 speed, originally for a "Z" car, because when I did the swap, there were not a lot of five speeds used in any Datsuns except for the "Z" cars. I actually bought a new five speed, from the dealer, using the Nissan competition catalog.

The long "Z" transmission bolts up to the 4 cylinder L-engine just fine. I shortened the bracket that bolts on to the frame that hold the transmission mount. I shortened the front part of the two piece driveshaft, and put a slip yoke that fit the "Z" transmission. I had to move the hole in the plate that covers the shifter back. The shifter is closer to the bench seat, but still misses it. I had to get a longer speedometer cable. I used a "Z" car speedometer cable. I think I used a 521 slave cylinder on the clutch, but cannot really remember.

Hey Guys your help is great, i have found that I can use the old engine mountsof the J-15, all i had to do was drill out the top hole so it would fit. I have beenable to source a R30 gearboxwhich isastumpy box of an l24 (australian delivered only I hear).I will get some pics up the moment I remember to bring my camera home from work. The worst part is, I see all thesbuilds happening so fast yet mine is taking forever. Driving me up the wall......... I have a friend getting married in december and I promised I would have the car in the convoy. I hope I dont dissapoint.

sorry to go a little of topic, but what wheels are you using on your KC???

2eDeYe' date='10 March 2011 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1299684962' post='441029']

Which transmission are you using now? Is it a long tail or a short tail?

I'm wondering if maybe the transmission behind the J15 was a short tail and if the crossmember is different for that drivetrain. Not sure though, 79 620 over here came stock with the L20B and a long tail transmission.

The builds just look fast because you scroll through them fast.

December is a long way off you should have it don by then. shoot for Mid May and you should get it done in time.

Keep trucking away at it and it will get done faster than you think.

-Dime