Weird sparks

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Well, just went out and started up the truck after parking it for a couple few months. Hadn't been driving it because the toyota gets better gas mileage to and from work. Anyway I was out there about five minuets ago so it's dark outside, and I notice the spark plug wires appear to be arcing each other. Looks like a stream of blue sparks chasing eachother and jumping back and forth across the loom. Kinda cool to watch, but I dont see this being an okay thing since my wires run pretty close to my carb. The wires are only got about a month or so on 'em too. Do I need to gnd my distributor? Block? What could be causing this? I'm no electrical whiz.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Whadya mean?! These were top of the line wires! I paid like $15 plus tax! :D Seriously though, I couldn't find any other ones available aside from the autolite wires. I thought a wire was a wire except for guage thickness. Dont wanna get scammed spending extra $$ for another set to do the same damn thing. Which ones should I opt for instead? Which ones work out good for you guys?

Had good luck with Belden wires from NAPA. Pretty sure that they come with a lifetime warranty too. Keep your receipt or they wont honor the warranty though. This way they are free next time if the problem re-occures. Also While you are working this problem out, Make sure that all of you other elctrical connections at the coil and resistor type stuff is nice and clean. Spend a couple extra bucks and use dielectric grease inside the boots on both ends of the plug wires. Creates a better connection and makes them easier to remove without damaging a wire in the future.

Jason

Genuine Nissan spark plug wires are better than the average. They last forever. A used set from the wreckers should be good.

Be sure to clean the outside of the distributor cap. You can use ether and a paper towel, or better yet wash it in the sink with soap and water to remove grime.

When it is wet outside they tend to collect moisture if there is dust on them. The newer distributors (about 1978 and newer) use a larger cap to help prevent arcing -- the wires are farther apart.

Oh yes, don't use a fancy wiring loom that routes the wires together. They shouldn't touch each other except at right angles.

I use a Nitrile synthetic 'rubber' glove. Poke a small hole in the tips and run the wires (without nipples) through, grease and connect nipples and install on cap, roll the glove down like a condom over the distributor body. Keeps shit and water OUT. Good... to... go.

Guest DatsuNoob
I use a Nitrile synthetic 'rubber' glove. Poke a small hole in the tips and run the wires (without nipples) through, grease and connect nipples and install on cap, roll the glove down like a condom over the distributor body. Keeps shit and water OUT. Good... to... go.

All this talk of greasing nipples and rolling on condoms is getting me all worked up. HAHA :lol:, well, lots of good advice here, I'll be checking into a new set in addition to starting and finishing other projects for the truck as soon as I move into the new house this weekend. Finally I'll be able to get some work done without the apt people on my back. You know... now that I think about it, this may have been what caused my little freeway explosion. Wires run about an 1" maybe 2" from the elec choke, and that's what blew out the side of the carb with a loud bang. Weird because theres no fuel behind it. I suppose its possible for a carb explosion or backfire to exit via the weakest area, in my case a loose choke, but hey I dont work for mythbusters.