paint removal?

is there anyway to remove someones sorry try at a rattle can paintjob? Take a datsun back to its stock color? I dont think it was primered... just scuffed and sprayed... but it seems to hold up really good for rattle can or roller, a little too good... :(

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

paint thinner from Home Depot? It should not eat the factory paint, but does a decent (read hand scrubbing required) to pull the rattle can off.

Read fisches thread (510 one). He is pulling the camo off the car. He posted how he did it, and I think there are a few other suggestions.

This is not environmentally friendly, and it might remove the factory paint also.

Carburettor cleaner.

I have used electrolysis to remove rust from parts. See this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/page__p__40613__hl__electrolysis__fromsearch__1#entry40613

This process did remove a lot of the paint, right down to bare metal. I do not think it actually attacked the paint, the paint was left in large pieces, in the shape of the contours of the part it came off of, but I think the reaction was on the surface of the metal, with minute surface rust, and that separated the paint from the metal. Of course, to do the electrolysis, the parts need to be removed from the car, and you need to find a bucket large enough to submerge the parts in.