engine bay fire

Well i had my first engine bay fire today in my truck. I never want that to happen again. it was a really small one but still very scary.

What happened is the power wire going from the alternator to the starter was showing some bare wires and it grounded on the frame rail providing a spark that ignited the dry electrical tape. i quickly put it out and replaced the wire. I need to garage my truck soon so i can redo all the wiring like i want to.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your first, and hopefully your last.

i had a wire ground out one time on my 70 wagoneer but it didn't catch fire it just fried the whole wire until it broke.

i did have a engine fire when i blew my jetta motor on the freeway. pulled over and there was a flame coming out of the giant hole in the block. a very big hot slow burning oil flame. scared the shit out of me. so i blew it out and it ignited back up. blew it out again, ignited back up. by now i'm thinking it was going to explode in my face and kill me. what was i thinking. 3rd time i blew it out it stayed out. when the engine blew up you should have seem the cloud of smoke trailing me. looked like a 3 alarm fire. right after that a tow truck pulled up from out of nowhere. lucky me:D still driving it though. got too much money into that money pit to let it go.

wow that sux. good thing you caught that in time. on my old chrysler someone put some type of spacer under my battery, not realizing that when the car hits bumps, the battery post hits the hood. one day the car just shut off while i was driving, and i found part of the battery terminal welded to my hood and the other part just fell off...

well it comes in three's i am tellin ya. when the wire shorted out and caught fire well it fried the Alternator. so in pulling the altenator to go exchange it (lifetime warrenty at autozone) I bumped the spicket on the radiator and broke it, so now i need to go to the junkyard today and pull a radiator (easier pulling a new one than welding the one that is there the way it broke) but i needed to go to the junkyard anyways today cause i found out my alternator was missing a back bolt. and i needed to replace my belt anyways so i guess its good this happened haha. always a lighter side to it

On my old 521, I didn't have a ground from the body to the neg terminal and the battery wasn't secure. Of coarse it flipped over and almost welded itself to the frame and set fire to some wires. I threw dirt on it and got it out but when I got back in I couldn't move the gas pedal. Seems the only way for the current to get from the body back to the neg terminal was down the throttle cable which glowed red hot and melted the plastic sheath, which in turn hardened around it.