91 Mazda Miata

Weird as it sounds I think they should have done a single rotor turbo for the miata.. I'd nab this up if it wasnt 8 grand. http://www.atkinsrot...ndex.php?pag=14 I'm wondering how many of the pieces I could buy and the rest build myself.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess there're only three completely custom parts that were used on the Atkins one rotor (is it a 6B?), the eccentric shaft, the oil pan, and the intake manifold. Maybe the counterweights.

They modded one of the stat gears so that it's just a bearing retainer. There might be some oiling system issues. I still haven't figured out how the oiling system works on a rotary.

Ignition system would be a challenge.

They do sell all of the custom parts piecemeal, so you could pick up a decent keg, and go from there, using their parts and modding your own. I'll bet you could build one of these for half their price (based no research, and decent knowledge of rotaries).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've got the brackets done just doing stress testing with the engine and megasquirt first then when I feel MS 100% for the miata as I'm thinking I may rid the car of the factory harness to rid myself of various issues with the harness.

The charger will be the SC14 from a toyota, I'm going to try to get multiple tunes one for boost and one for NA setup and working so I can be all madmax style with a switch on the shifter. :lol:

This engine setup will end up in the roadster eventually, but for now the R16 is staying put and my miata may see a 13B when I have the datto 100% street legal and going.

• 2 weeks later...

The powder is your better bet, on my roadster I'll be doing BRE stripes with lace. Just use some good clear coat and it will be peachy.

Ordered my wheel adapters finally.

People keep asking me about my hood as of late.. I was just goofing off but they like it and are curious how I made the lighter black thinking I intended to do that... I explain its just over spray and they are like huh really?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking of a 5.3L Vortec swap over rotary.. I can pick up the 5.3 for like 300 bucks all day and with the iron block I think it would welcome a turbo with open arms. I love the sound of a 13B but I'd kinda like some okay gas mileage. Though I do have dreams of a ITB LSx swimming around in my head.

I decided the roadster will keep its R16 tell the miata gets a new engine since I cant bring myself to cut up the body work I finished.

Also waiting on a set of 185/70/13's for the Work Equip 01's, I'll get pictures after I mount them.

Well if you pick up the vortec, how much will you be spending on install? including harness... mounts.. and such? better off boosting the 1.6 and having fun with it.. idk but big motor will throw off balance... would be siiick for the power though... Let me know, that way i can see whats up...

Well if you pick up the vortec, how much will you be spending on install? including harness... mounts.. and such? better off boosting the 1.6 and having fun with it.. idk but big motor will throw off balance... would be siiick for the power though... Let me know, that way i can see whats up...

Depends on what I do, I was thinking of using the flyin' miata kit and saving myself a ton of work. But I can build my own subframe and stuff and save a few grand.

Side note my tires got in and I am getting them mounted tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...