bagged 620 KC

RB_Shaggs

Well i finally priced everything out and if all goes as planned i will be bagged and shaved by Drop Zone 07..

here are the plans

FBSS fast

suicide doors super pivot lift 4 link

slam 2600 bags on all four

7 gallon tank

1/2" line

full shave including valance

factory replacement chrome grille with blinkers hidden behind it

a weber and a header on my L20

and that is just this incarnation don't have enough time to build my new frame but hopefully next year i will have a full frame with tubular control arms and IRS with a twin cam KA24de

i will post some pics hopefully soon but i just broke my torsion bar bracket last night i am moving so probably later then sooner. :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no the guy who i bought it from got it from his brother who was the original owner and while he lived in california he had somebody put the discs on it i think he said its a 720 conversion but i have not realy dug into it yet it is just my daily till i park it and start bagging it..

Yeah its still kingpin (although i am doing a disc brake conversion thanks to beebani brakets), i saw no need to change it for other datsun parts. Im planning on building another 521 after this one thats going to get a toyo front clip. Datsun suspensions are hard to get lift out of, and i can easily get 13" of lift out of a toyo clip, compared to the 7" i get out of my truck.

port angeles wa. out on the north olympic peninsula.. my toyota i have now gets good lift up front but toyotas are pain to put anything over a 2500 on up front.. i was just going to have tube arms built or use some for a hardbody just modify them.. i think that can get the lift i want

thats what i meant you have to run tube arms for the toyo front.. plus i like 6 lug so thats why i was wondering why you don't just get tube arms for the datsun suspension you can get the same lift i am pretty sure.. but then again i am probably going to have to clip something for the frame i want to build so i also see your point but i think i am just going to clip a hardbody (ka motor mounts already in place that way)

simple IRS gotta clip it anyway so build a new frame from the clip back.. or i could get real crazy and fab a front too have not decided yet.. but that is not till like next winter, i got a wedding to pay for so if i built it now the fiance would kill me

thats what i meant you have to run tube arms for the toyo front.. plus i like 6 lug so thats why i was wondering why you don't just get tube arms for the datsun suspension you can get the same lift i am pretty sure.. but then again i am probably going to have to clip something for the frame i want to build so i also see your point but i think i am just going to clip a hardbody (ka motor mounts already in place that way)

The 521 arms a substancially narrower than the toyo arms, the whole clip on a 521 is a good bit narrower. Ill either make up for the width difference in the wheels, or narrow the whole clip to keep the long arms to allow room for a 2600 or 2800 lb bag. If i made tube arms for my 521 it wouldnt make a bit of difference.

• 1 month later...

well after sucking out of my fiances wedding fund i got my parts trucks so i can at least get most of the body work done by dropzone. and with all the extra parts that came with the truck i got a peanut head.. so i am going to take my spare L20 motor build the block and the peanut head and get some side drafts.. anyone have suggestions on a good duration cam to run?? i will post some new pics hopefully this weekend..

Well, whatever you use, don't use the Crane Cams. They work well for awhile, however, the casting is so crappy that the lobes wear real fast. I'm sending a stock L16 cam in for regrind to replace this one and I'm using their "449" grind cam for good emissions and bottom end.....

Kevin, I'm having an L16 cam reground to the following:

449 Profile:

Duration: 256 degrees

Overlap: xx degrees

Lift: 0.492” at the valve

Reason is that the L16 cam is of little use to me and it was made of a good, hard steel billet back in the day, so for a core it's good. The cam profile is the factory Roadster "SU" profile and works well with emissions with the 0 overlap. Doesn't make much above 6000 rpm though, the usable band is from 2800-6000 rpm on a L20b, pretty much a street grind in the rpm range I use these days ...... We have both "Shadbolt" and "Colt" as the local Datsun cam gurus up here and their recommendations are based on long experience.

For a "hotter" street motor their recommendation is the following:

445 Profile:

Duration: 280 degrees (30-70-70-30)

Overlap: 60 degrees

Lift: 0.507” at the valve

"Good for about 7200 rpm max"

Works well with Roadster valve springs

Please note that you can't use stock valve springs with this cam unlike the 449. The Roadster valve springs are good, but, the Nissan Comp (Nismo) ones would be the ones to use here. To take advantage of this you'll need to balance your components out along with the other detail work necessary when doing a high revving motor of course.... Be aware that if you are in line for yearly emissions testing as we are in BC then this cam profile will cause you some grief, it's not as "green" as the "449" grind.....