King-pin suspension lift-kit

garryk6

Hey guys,

There is lots of information here on lowering king pin trucks. But 10 years ago, when I lived in San Diego, there was a really nice bright yellow 620 that was a daily driver for a Mexican guy that worked at 32nd street naval station. I met him, and he showed me his lift kit. He had it made in a machine shop in TJ. It was a piece of square bar-stock, that replaced the dog-bone, and had a machined end that allowed the stock spindle mount to the bottom of the bar stock. This moved the king-pin from between the control-arms, to below the lower control arms. It allowed him to run 31x10.50x15's. With the L20B and the 520 4.86 gears he had no problem with power, and he had a 5-speed with overdrive so it wasn't too low geared.

Anyway, my son is getting my old 66 L520 as his first car, and he wants to lift it a bit to clear 30 or 31" tires, nothing crazy. Has anyone experimented with this idea? Or has anyone built a lowered version of the dog-bone?

The other thought that I had was to build a "low-buck" version of a Pre-runner front suspension. Does anyone down south have a lead on any "kits" to build a home built pre-runner? That would give us heim-joints etc. But it would be more expensive, and it would be harder to do over a weekend. My son is currently in Welding in High school, And I weld too, so fabrication does not scare us, just trying to figure out the relatively easiest, and relatively least expensive.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Garry in Kodiak, AK

PS, Mike K, if you are reading this, did you finish changing Paula's truck brakes yet?

Thanks, Garry

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Garry.....I'm finally reading this and you're lucky I even came across it :)

Not yet, but it's funny I came across this.....I was just thinking about trying to get that done fairly soon....I was going to email you this morning about it.

email me or pm me about it.

2eDeYe' date='13 March 2011 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1300031582' post='443106']

I know Ryan had his torsion bars cranked up on his 620 and was clearing 30" tires with a little fender trimming.

I had my 620 torsion bars up, well as far as I could until the camber could not be adjusted out, and a 4" body lift and 10.5 X 31s would scuff the floor under my feet when off road. (used sledge hammer) Street was OK but rubbed frame on turns or parking and body entering sloping driveways sometimes. Used longer shocks so they didn't extend fully and top out.