Sealing primer...

Just Joel

All right paint gurus... I've been working on the body of my goon off and on for a while now, working out small areas and rattle can priming as I go. The time has come to push the car out of the shop in preparation of building the motor. My question is, how should I top coat the primer to protect the repairs from the weather until the day the car gets painted (years from now)? Should I just find a red paint the looks close to stock color, or is there a rattle can primer/sealer product that I can trust against the weather? Keep in mind that I live in the high desert and moisture is low and rust is almost a non issue.

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you need to take off the rattle can paint, it has a chemical in it to keep it from sticking to the inside of the can. I hear epoxy primer will stick to it, but as nice as you have been doing things, i'd suspect you'd want to have something better then rattle can primer under the paint

I am no paint guru, thats just what i've been seeing since the day i was interested in doing it. Pm the510keeper or wait for someone with more knowledge pipes up :D

Do you have a spray gun? A 2K epoxy sealer (like the one made by PCL- fairly inexpensive) will seal the work inside and protect it from moisture and bad stuff. If you are not going to topcoat it with paint right after, you'll need to sand it down with 400-600 before topcoating; otherwise paint will not stick to it.

I'm using automotive sandable primer... Rustolium I think. This is only temporary and eventually, I'll been sanding down everything before final primer and paint. For now, I just need to make sure the body filler won't been damaged by the weather. I don't have gun or the facilities to spay paint but I have seen epoxy primer in rattle came from. if its compatible, do you think this would work for now?

Or would a standard paint work for now?

Later

Joel

To be honest, I really do not know what to tell you. You already have rattle can primer on the car, are you just trying to protect that, and some plastic filler under that, in places? If that is the case, just cover the primer with the same brand of rattle can topcoat.

When you get ready to paint the car for real, I think the best thing to do is to remove it all, and use a high quality epoxy primer, followed by the same brand of topcoats. If you leave the rattle can paint products on the car, you risk having a poor adhesion between the metal, and the top coat, or even having issues with the undercoats reacting unfavorably with the paints you put on top of them. You might get lucky, and get that way cool wrinkle finish. So very Ratsun!

lol... I guess I'm just going to hit it with enamal ratle can for now. I'm already planning only sanding all the ratle can off when I paint for real later down the road. I just don't want to loose the filler in the mean time. I'm going to be working on the body for a while and I need a solution untill the day I get to actually paint the car.

Later

Joel