71 GOON Rear springs

SHAMUS'WAGON

So, I'm looking to beef up the rear suspension on my 71 510 goon. I was thinking about just putting some cheap leaf helpers on, but then I got the idea in my head that it might be possible to use the leaf springs from a 720 or a D21. If anyone has done this already I would like the input. Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the top main leaf, (you don't even have to unbolt them) and add a truck second or third leaf below it. Yes if it has more arch than the one(s) it's replacing it may raise the back. Take to a spring shop and they will put it in a press and take some of the arch out. You could end up lower and stiffer.

Probably if they open and close a similar amount. But if the springs are soft it will still travel excessively. Only a firm spring will correct that.

Truck main springs are 1,200mm or 47.25" long. I just measured my goon and they will be close, hard to tell with the curve, maybe the same? Either way I would keep the top main leaf, as they are a bitch to unbolt from the shackle and the body. The spring looks like it has 4 leaves including a thicker bottom one. Remove the U bolts and bottom plate and split the spring pack apart and remove one of the upper ones and slip a second thicker bottom one on and assemble. This shouldn't add any arch but should add stiffness. I'm going to try this with mine, and I have a parts goon for the springs.

Looking to go lower and stiffer?

Remove the leaf springs, take apart, turn one or more of the leafs upside down, re-assemble leaf pack, bolt in.

It will lower the pack and stiffen it, for a MUCH better ride, in my opinion.

I spent a little extra money and took them to a shop to be professionally de-arched and stiffened, and then I added another leaf in upside down after.

Ballin'!