rods... z24, ka24, ka24de

steve g

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z24 and KA24E are interchangeable but do look slightly different. Here are my

KA24E on the left and Z24 on the right. The KAs appear thinner and lighter, the Z24 heavier thicker.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod008Large.jpg

The Z24 (right) has bigger nuts too.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod010Large.jpg

I don't have a KA24DE rod but I can't find any differences in any dimension between the DE and the E rods.

Z24 and KA24E are interchangeable but do look slightly different. Here are my

KA24E on the left and Z24 on the right. The KAs appear thinner and lighter, the Z24 heavier thicker.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod008Large.jpg

The Z24 (right) has bigger nuts too.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod010Large.jpg

I don't have a KA24DE rod but I can't find any differences in any dimension between the DE and the E rods.

thanks mike!... now if i was to put ka24 pistons and rods in a stock z24... what would my compression be? any idea?

Thanks!

thanks doug,,,, but i never use any type of converter chart on the net.. seems like they are always wrong somewhere.

Ahhhh...poppy cock... :D

Has to be somewhat 'ballpark'...????..not sure what to put in for HG thickness though.

.040.....050...?

And what about the ...'Redline'...?

Actually the Z24 head is not listed in the 'Engine Design Utility....need actual specs if head is not 'shown'.

Edit...

Redline is N/A

HG thickness is 1.2MM

I'm not at home right now with my calculator. I have all 4 cyl L and Z blocks worked out for compression, including different over bores, heads, piston dishes and some short cuts for hypothetical combinations. The difference is about 12 cc of piston dish so expect 10's. I'll post it when I get home later to-night.

Z24 pistons in a KA24 block will yield a compression ratio of 8.6:1. Check out the build thread in general technical. The Z24 pistons are dished more than the KA, but I think the difference is .3 compression. The rods are ALMOST the same, but I've read there is some difference on the top where the pin goes through and I can't remember what.

The crank is big time different on the snout. KA=tiny, Z24=big.

And if you're wondering, the L20 rod bolts are the same as Z24 rod bolts.

Z24 is about 8.4

KA24E early was 9.0 for the first few months amd 8.6 after.

Z24 engine with KA24E pistons is 9.5 compression.

Hey datzenmike, is the bearing width of the z24 the same as the ka? Or is the ka thinner?

Ls and Zs are the same number but the KA24E is different but I'm sure the rod will fit in the Z24 engine.

does anyone know the difference between the 3 rods? Any help will be appreciated

Steve I might add that the truck KA rods are most like the Z24, however the car KA24E uses a fully floating piston pin in a rod with a pressed in bronze bushing. These pistons have a snap ring in each end the piston pin bore to hold the pin in.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod003Large-1.jpg

The top has an oil hole for splash lubrication

720stuffKA24Epistonrod007Large.jpg

These come apart with snap ring pliers or the careful use of a small screw driver.

89mmKA24Efloatingpinpiston004Large.jpg