L20 on a 521

nismo dr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do i need anything special to put it in?

Lifting apparatus.

OK, non-smartass answer is you need to use the oil pan and oil pickup tube off the original engine, and you will need to decide which manifolds you are going to use (based on what head is on the L20B) because L20B exhaust use a different downpipe. You also are probably going to want to use the original water pump unless the L20B already has a non-clutch pump.

Clutch and flywheel may be an issue- if the L20B has a 225mm clutch, you will need the throwout bearing collar that came with that engine as the one for the 521's 200mm setup won't work. If it had a 200mm clutch you SHOULD be OK.

You use the original L16 motor mounts, NOT the ones that may be on the L20B.

haha, time to learn dood.

Just an fyi, that L20 complete? If so and after 78 (hell someone might have already swapped it) Check and see if its a points or electronic dizzy. Electronic will have a rotor in it, points will obviously not and have points in there. If its electronic, GOOD, simple rewire to get it to work on your vehicle..

Cant tell from pic if thats E dizzy or not, i'd think so with the coil he is running and no resister (that i saw)

Just make sure you get a different coil (78 or newer nissan, i used one off a hardbody pickup :D) and then wire it in right, its pretty easy to do especially if your wire harness is not all cut up like my 510 :(

To easy!

Make sure you read datsunaholics info, he is smart and correct about the clutch setup/oil pan-pickup tube/motor mounts. You will need an oil pan gasket too, make sure you clean the surfaces GOOD, no contaminates! After you clean all the old gasket off, get a lint free rag and put some gas on it and clean all the oil shit off. Then use a SMALL bead of red rtv around the new gasket, let sit for 4-5 minutes, then put it on. Contaminates will cause the new gasket to leak, or leak faster than it should.

• 6 months later...

the l20 will bolt right in provided you use the oil pan and motor mounts from the l16 (that is if your truck was l16 stock, swapping from j series is totally different.) if you're switching to 5-speed at the same time you'll need to mess with mounts and driveshaft but the l20 fits fine. make sure you have a matching flywheel. some are larger than others and some a 5 bolt, some are 6. mine's been collecting dust because i cant find anyone to weld my mounts for me and i'm jobless now. :'( super easy swap though. mine was my first attempt and it runs fine.