L20 on a 521

nismo dr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. ive been talking about this in my truck thread: http://community.rat...21/page__st__20

hainz was saying i need a T/O bearing collar, since the L16 flywheel, clutch, T/O bearing etc is different from the L20b, and i dont exactly know what the collar is or does.....

i believe the throwout bearing is what actuates the clutch's diaphragm. the collar is that part that has the bearing on it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=throw+out+bearing+collar&um=1&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=787&tbm=isch&tbnid=q24X1mtaL0z5rM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php%253F1,916936&docid=XMtd3Iok1L9ejM&w=500&h=115&ei=cmE7TpmQLaPViAL93cHoCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=123&vpy=481&dur=334&hovh=76&hovw=332&tx=267&ty=35&page=3&tbnh=43&tbnw=189&start=48&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:48

225mm clutches have a different diaphram height thus a different size T/O colloar will be used compared to the stock L16 200mm clutch set ups.

I think Rockauto.com look on the later L20trucks and I believe they sell the whole bearing and with a colloar on one of them.

Unless you have a Datsun buddy that has this parts avail.

If wrong T/O bearing collar is installed it could engage or not engage the clutch correctly Datzenmike is more of a expert as I only use 200mm stuff(or Roadster pressure plate, same diaphrame height as stock L16 clutch)

• 2 weeks later...

So this is what happened i bought the l20b and the guy who i bought it from said he would install it for me, so it took him about a day. the truck was running fine but the ride was shaky and the engine had a horrible rattle so i took it to my mechanic and his telling me my distributor and head are fucking up!

225mm clutches have a different diaphram height thus a different size T/O colloar will be used compared to the stock L16 200mm clutch set ups.

I think Rockauto.com look on the later L20trucks and I believe they sell the whole bearing and with a colloar on one of them.

Unless you have a Datsun buddy that has this parts avail.

If wrong T/O bearing collar is installed it could engage or not engage the clutch correctly Datzenmike is more of a expert as I only use 200mm stuff(or Roadster pressure plate, same diaphrame height as stock L16 clutch)

Many years ago (over 30) i swapped an L20B into my 521. I didn't know about the different clutch/throwout bearing collar sizes back then. Luckily the L20B was from a buddy's car so it was a 200mm. I used the 521 collar and it worked just fine. I don't remember changing the oil pan to the L16, don't think I did. :confused:

• 6 months later...

I've got the l20b in my 521 I used the l16 pan and clutch set up I pulled a 5 speed out of a late model truck bolted right up with no problem at all as well as I used the head off of the l16 do to the split layout on the intake and exhaust manifold all works just fine in the truck I will.say it hauls some but on the street and nice on the hwy with the 5 speed.

• 11 years later...

Side question but curious doing the L20B swap in a 521 do I need to get that engine harness and install that into the 521 and is it fairly simple to do or does it take some figuring. Or does the original 521 harness work with that engine. 

The L20B is the L16s big brother. Looks identical other than the top of the block is 2cm taller. The 521 electrical system and wiring will work with the L20B. I put a 610 or 710 car L20B into my 71 521 back in the mid '70s

1/ If the L20B is a '78-'79 it will have an electronic ignition so a couple of very minor changes to the coil and ballast.

2/ You will need to swap the 521 oil pan and pick up tube and the 521 engine brackets onto the L20B.

3/ If the L20B is from a car it likely has a linkage throttle set up so again a minor part swap from the L16 carburetor.

4/ Use the L16 exhaust manifold and if a '75-'77 L20B use the L16 intake as well.

5/ If a car L20B the 521 release bearing collar will match your 521. If from a truck you will need the proper release bearing collar for a 225mm clutch.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Paul hieb said:

Side question but curious doing the L20B swap in a 521 do I need to get that engine harness and install that into the 521 and is it fairly simple to do or does it take some figuring. Or does the original 521 harness work with that engine. 

Hi Paul. Welcome. I am in Cool. If you're ever up this way, hit me up!

• Thanks 1