Kyusha Kai's '71 510 waGoon

KyushaKai

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a great radiator it cost a little more then a champion but far better build and fit.The fins are built tighter for better cooling capacity also.

Thanks. I should have added more details... Curious on the fit and placement. Ive had a Koyorad in the past in a couple cars and now that its a new product for the 510, I just want to make sure its a great fir with little modification. 

Thinking about upgrading radiators when I put the L20 in. 

And a glamour shot my friend took for Koyo as a thank you.  I really want to lower the rear another inch.  Is there a definitive part number on a 3" drop block?  Preferably with the pinion angle correction?  Searching always yields so many different opinions.

9406493117_ffdeae1103_c.jpg

Pm sent ;)

Thanks. I should have added more details... Curious on the fit and placement. Ive had a Koyorad in the past in a couple cars and now that its a new product for the 510, I just want to make sure its a great fir with little modification. 

Thinking about upgrading radiators when I put the L20 in. 

I've got nothing but good things to say about the Koyo.  Beautifully built and fitment is perfect.  As a bonus it's the same core they use for their GT-R radiators, so it should handle most of the engines we throw in these things.

Sand Island pier right.

Yessir!

Is that the sponsorship talking? lol

Thanks for the info. Ill probably snag one when the time comes.

Lolololol!  Nah, I've always been happy with my old Koyos and was planning on picking one up anyway since my old rad was fubar'ed.  I was originally thinking of going with a Genesis 2.0T rad.  If you cut off the mounting "legs", they're sized the exact same as the CX Racing KA/SR swap radiators.  I'm pretty sure this will cool my future N/A SR just fine though.

Pm Just Joel, he made me a set of 3 and a quarter Inch blocks with adjusted pinion angle. Real nice guy and real quality work.

Hahaha, I just paypal'ed him before you posted this.  The 2" blocks on my car right now are his handiwork.

Is that the sponsorship talking? lol

Thanks for the info. Ill probably snag one when the time comes.

No tristin I am not sponsered i wish like this Hawaiian,I am being totally honest with you.I am going to run one if the inlet and outlet is not far off from the Fj inlet and outlet but the one for your guys cars is a great fit and even some people will say there made over seas the welds are way more stout for a lack of better terms then champajunk wich i have and will never buy again..

Yessir!

Lolololol!  Nah, I've always been happy with my old Koyos and was planning on picking one up anyway since my old rad was fubar'ed.  I was originally thinking of going with a Genesis 2.0T rad.  If you cut off the mounting "legs", they're sized the exact same as the CX Racing KA/SR swap radiators.  I'm pretty sure this will cool my future N/A SR just fine though.

Hahaha, I just paypal'ed him before you posted this.  The 2" blocks on my car right now are his handiwork.

Right on cuz,i am from Kailua,and also Tiki.

No tristin I am not sponsered i wish like this Hawaiian,I am being totally honest with you.I am going to run one if the inlet and outlet is not far off from the Fj inlet and outlet but the one for your guys cars is a great fit and even some people will say there made over seas the welds are way more stout for a lack of better terms then champajunk wich i have and will never buy again..

Kyusha is sponsored. My statement was for him as he was raving about the radiator. Im familiar with the quality build, just unfamiliar with 510 fitment. A lot of companies say their items fit well, but there always seems to be some stupid issues...

I was just interested in someone who had it currently installed in a 510 to see what they thought since its currently the most expensive radiator available for a 510. Granted both people that have first-hand experience with installing one are sponsored so I guess Ill take their word for it and do my own unbiased reporting once installed. 

Man, I've got a story about what I think is your car. So Sunday night I was walking with a group of friends from the scuttlebutt brewery down to my dads boat on the Everett marina. In the distance I heard a loud car start up but couldn't see it, and I made the comment to my buds "sounds like something I'd drive." Then about 30 seconds later i about pissed myself when I saw an orange goon emerge about 200 feet away. the ironic part is I just picked up an orange 71 wagon about 2 weeks ago. It's currently not running, but seeing that got me all fired up to get it going! Could that have been you? Your car looks good! Nice pics

Hahaha that was me! My exhaust flange nuts came loose so I have been rocking an open header! :rofl:

null_zps2a42fcc7.jpg

And lance I'm glad you posted an update! I'm jealous of the awesome wheels you have!

U were up here? Damn dood. We coulda hit some of the ono grinds that Portland has to offer. \m/

I'll be back for sure.  Almost all the time I spent in Oregon was doing family stuff anyway, didn't really have a chance to sneak away.  Gonna try to make it up for Canby, if not my friends are talking about a trip for Formula D/general shenanigans next yea so I'm definitely down.

LOL @ HillsboTo, OR!  

Dropped by my buddies house to help him mock up this beast:

9422908510_bfb6b218f7_c.jpg

Lexus 1UZ V8 in a TE72 (1981 4 door Corolla).  This thing should be gnarly when it's done.  I still can't believe it fits in there.

After that we installed this in the wagon:

9422879178_c57c642a49_z.jpg

A little USDM hot rod flavor.  The finned gauge holder lines up PERFECTLY with the center console.  I was super stoked when Mooneyes partnered up with Classic Instruments to make their new gauge line.  I heard the old Moon stuff was a pile of crap.

BTW, anybody have a shorty header they don't need?  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just Joel hooked it up with these 3" blocks with 3* of pinion angle built in.  Gorgeous welds, rock solid, and custom spec'ed.  If any wagon guys want to run blocks and don't want to deal with the hassle of finding some that will fit, I definitely recommend Joel.  Quick work too!  I paypal'ed him and a week later they were at my door.

9502583992_ea71447def.jpg

These two jerks used the two pieces of cardboard to lie down and sleep while I had to work under the car on the road.

9502580952_c283f8f3d2_c.jpg

9499832091_4170b6a71e_c.jpg

Tucking a bit of tire in the rear and finally got rid of the rake.  I am officially happy with my car's suspension.  While working on the blocks, the rear half of my exhaust broke off after the muffler to add to the exhaust leak I have from a cracked Y pipe.  Yep, time for a new exhaust system.

I finally found a place to rent to work on my car.  So now I can down it without worrying about having to drive it home.  On the short term to do list:

*Buy a welder and misc tools that I used to have access to at my friend's garage.

*Buy header/build exhaust

*POR15 and FatMat the interior

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words guys.  Gave my car a quick 20 footer rattle can job just to cover up some of mismatched paint.  It's not a perfect match but it's better than it was before.  I have a friend who's gonna teach me paint and body and help me pretty up my car after he clears out his garage of his projects.

9542993487_30fdc3bf23_c.jpg

A Top End Performance shorty header was supposed to have been delivered yesterday, but it never showed (thanks USPS).  Hopefully it comes in tomorrow so I can get an exhaust made up this week.

• 2 weeks later...

This wagon is all kinds of win! nice work man

One question, did you have to buy bigger U bolts to run those bigger blocks?

Yes I did.  I don't have the part number on me at the time (I kept the part # but it's in my wagon at my friend's house right now), but I'll post it up when I pick up my car tonight.  Originally, Joel supplied me with the longer U-Bolts, but I stripped one tightening it down one day.  I needed to get my car running ASAP so I took it over to NAPA and they measured it out with a caliper and found me some new ones.  If you go that route, just let them know you need it X inches longer.