engine swap questions

babi boi

Like the topic says I have a few questions. Sorry if any of them are stupid or obvious answered questions. Also I know the famous phrase, with enough money anything is possible. So I am not looking to hear anything like that. I have questions so I am asking the best source I know, Datsun Lovers. So if your just going to tell me the famous phrase or put me down for asking stupid questions, or say USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, please dont responde. I have already tried searching and cant find the answers, the search button is not giving me what I am looking for. So if you can help me find my answers Thank You in advance.

1st, Will a 305 engine fit in the engine bay of an 1981 Datsun 210 hatchback? (I already know I will need custom motor mounts, if it even fits).

2nd, will a 9inch ford rear end fit under the Datsun 210?

3rd, If the 305 does fit, What is a good automatic trans that will bolt up to the 305 and fit in the 81 Datun 210? (And I know I will probably have to have a custom drive shaft made).

Like I said before, if you can help me Thank You in advance. Also if anybody has any info that might be helpful to me in completing this swap, then please do let me know. Or if any of this is just not possible, please let me know that too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st, Will a 305 engine fit in the engine bay of an 1981 Datsun 210 hatchback? (I already know I will need custom motor mounts, if it even fits).

gonna take a guess and say no? but if you really wanna go the V8 route id say bored over 215 buick/rover really compact probably will fit

2nd, will a 9inch ford rear end fit under the Datsun 210?
unmodified probably not your probably gonna need to section it and make it fit

3rd, If the 305 does fit, What is a good automatic trans that will bolt up to the 305 and fit in the 81 Datun 210? (And I know I will probably have to have a custom drive shaft made). \
not a big american car guy but im guessing a 305 is a chevy? then built 727 torqueflite alot of drag guys run these

might be easier

oh and its coming FYI

InBeforeTheLock1105.jpg

either locked or FLAMEFEST 2011

• Like 1

1) Will it fit? Not without serious modification to the front of the car. Too wide to properly clear the strut towers, and in any case the suspension can't take the weight- especially with an automatic. Dunno why you'd want to run a 305 when a 350 is the same dimensions but has better aftermarket support and availability. Well, 305s are cheap since no one wants them unless you're running a 5-litre racing class.

2) Properly narrowed, yes. Any rear end swap would require major fabrication to install, since the stock mounts aren't sufficient, and there are clearance issues.

3) No automatic that fits a 305 will fit in a 210 without cutting the floor and firewall to clearance it. But you would have to do that with any V-8 or V-6 swap, as the tunnel is tiny. Since a 305 is a smallblock with no HP (it was simply an engine meant to concede to smog and MPG requirements of the 70s) a TH350 is plenty of transmission for it. If you want overdrive a 700R4 would be the choice as it's the only non-electronic overdrive widely available.

Basically the easiest way to do this would be to build a tube-frame chassis with the drivetrain, and then cut up the 210 unibody into a shell and attach it to the tube frame. It's doable without a tube frame chassis, but the work needed to make the custom front end to handle the weight is about the same, and the tube frame could take the torque.

• Like 3

I looked at this for my 620 and found I needed about 32" between the firewall and the rad support to fit one. Probably the later 305s have a serpentine belt which will remove 3 or 4 pulley widths. off the front. Maybe the fan could be removed and a pusher fan installed in front of the rad. The 305 is going to add at least another 200 lb to the front end so stiffer strut springs would be wise and larger front way bar to add traction to the back and lessen the oversteer.

The best auto would be the TH400 but with such a small motor (power wise, no offense) and light a car (traction wise) a TH350 would be pleanty strong enough. The tunnel would need to be cut out and made larger. BTW the auto it an excellent choice. Traction is going to be a problem with a 210 and even moderate hard shifts will potentially cause it to skate sideways.... better to have both hands on the wheel.

The Ford 9" is overkill for this and will handle 3 times the torque of the 305. You can use a shortened one if available, but check out the Mustang 8 "? with LSD. You definitely will want LSD in this thing.

Oh hi Doug.

Will It Fit?

Of Course, With The Necessary Fabrication :cool:

Why Would You Want To Do A V8?

Why Would You Want An Automatic Tranny!?!?

Personally I Would Go With 85-87 4.3 Fuel Injected Vortec

I was checking into the 305 bc my uncle has one sitting in his garage and isn't doing anything with it.

And the auto tranny thing is just a personal thing with me for the 210. Personally I like a 5 speed better any day of the week. Its just my father was killed in a Datsun 210 that was auto, so I am going to redo the car in memory of my father, leaving it as close to the way his was as possible. Just want to give it alot of power to go down the 1/4 mile. The v8 thing was mainly just me thinking with a v8 it would be easier to stand the car straight up in the air. But i was probably wrong about that. ( just seen a 210 with an sr20 in it standing in the air running 9's on youtube)

gonna take a guess and say no? but if you really wanna go the V8 route id say bored over 215 buick/rover really compact probably will fit

unmodified probably not your probably gonna need to section it and make it fit

not a big american car guy but im guessing a 305 is a chevy? then built 727 torqueflite alot of drag guys run these

might be easier

oh and its coming FYI

InBeforeTheLock1105.jpg

either locked or FLAMEFEST 2011

yes a 305 is a chevy engine, but thanks for the video. about the rear ends, are the rear ends in the 210's stronge enough to hold up to alot of power? If not, what rear end is good to use?

And what doyou mean by it coming FYI?

1) Will it fit? Not without serious modification to the front of the car. Too wide to properly clear the strut towers, and in any case the suspension can't take the weight- especially with an automatic. Dunno why you'd want to run a 305 when a 350 is the same dimensions but has better aftermarket support and availability. Well, 305s are cheap since no one wants them unless you're running a 5-litre racing class.

2) Properly narrowed, yes. Any rear end swap would require major fabrication to install, since the stock mounts aren't sufficient, and there are clearance issues.

3) No automatic that fits a 305 will fit in a 210 without cutting the floor and firewall to clearance it. But you would have to do that with any V-8 or V-6 swap, as the tunnel is tiny. Since a 305 is a smallblock with no HP (it was simply an engine meant to concede to smog and MPG requirements of the 70s) a TH350 is plenty of transmission for it. If you want overdrive a 700R4 would be the choice as it's the only non-electronic overdrive widely available.

Basically the easiest way to do this would be to build a tube-frame chassis with the drivetrain, and then cut up the 210 unibody into a shell and attach it to the tube frame. It's doable without a tube frame chassis, but the work needed to make the custom front end to handle the weight is about the same, and the tube frame could take the torque.

The 305 would have been just bc I could have gotten it for free, didn't really know they were that weak. (my uncle bragged it up pretty good). I am use to 4 bangers, just thought i might give the v8 thing a try.

Is the stock rear end in the 210's stronge enough to hold up to any kind of power? If not what rear end is good to use?

How hard would it be to stand the front end in the air with an sr20? I seen it can be done, but what do I have to do to the sr20 to get that performance? Again sorry if I should already know these answers

yes a 305 is a chevy engine, but thanks for the video. about the rear ends, are the rear ends in the 210's stronge enough to hold up to alot of power? If not, what rear end is good to use?

And what doyou mean by it coming FYI?

this might just be me being a nissan/datsun guy but you say you saw a sr powered 210 running 9 seconds in a wheelie why not go that route? probably alot easier than a v8 or if you wanna run a big motor go for like a RB im going out on a limb and saying its probably going to be as much work as a v8 and theres plenty of skylines that eat everything alive on the street (if your making a drag car id suggest keeping street legality for fun :lol:)

i dont really know on the 210 rearend but im gonna say no.

I figured someone would get pissed and the thread would go south and a mod/admin would lock

How hard would it be to stand the front end in the air with an sr20? I seen it can be done, but what do I have to do to the sr20 to get that performance? Again sorry if I should already know these answers

If You're Asking These Questions It's Best Not To Waist Your Time And Money

Unless You're Rich And Have A Fabricator Do It :)

• Like 1

sr20det - 328 lbs

a small block chevy weighs approx. 750 lbs. complete

305 starts at 130 hp to 250 if you have a HO, which is probably not whats laying around

sr20det is around 220 hp

I would say less than 600lb (barely)

The stock rear in the 210 would have to be changed out for any swap. The H150 won't handle anything over 90HP or so. A Ford 8-inch or a GM 10-bolt (7.5-inch) is fine for a 305. But the needed mods to the chassis are the same either way, other than maybe you won't need to clearance the floor as much.

You won't be doing any wheelstands with a 305 and a 210 unless you put the engine in the trunk.

Frankly, that 305 is laying around for a reason. Folks buy old 305-equipped cars and rip the engines out to put real engines in them.

So what I am getting out of this, is that it would be smarter to stick with the 4 banger. considering less weight and I can get the same or more power out of the 4 banger. It makes sense to me, and i like imports better than domestics. I have just always been told by all the older ppl in my family that if you want to build a race car, v8 is the way to go. And most of them have built v8 muscle cars that are pretty quick. I know this is not a muscle car, just thought if i had the power a built v8 could give me in a little 210, the car would be insainly fast. sorry

''dont know if its easy to make a sr out of a fwd car work into a rwd car but''

sorry didnt know the sr came FWD. The video on youtube says its an sr20 in a datsun 210. And the 210's are RWD.

Also I had a 95 nissan 240 sx, and that is RWD, everybody told me to put the sr20 in that so not really understanding the sr out of a FWD car thing. sorry

So I guess what I really want to know, Is what is a good set up for building a 210 for the 1/4 mile. sr20? and if I stick with a 4 banger do i have to change out the rear end? or will the stock one hold up? Sorry all the questions, I am starting to feel a little stupid now, just thought this was the place to help me do my homework. Thanks for all the help. If your not to annoyed with me yet, please fill me in with some more knowledge.

Ok so now I know about the rear end thing, Thank you. Now just need to know which one is better to go with. A different v8(which has enough power to do a wheel stand) or the sr20? Either way I will be happy. the sr20 keeps it an import. But the v8 thing gives me something new and different that i have never done beore.

Edited by babi boi

sorry didnt know the sr came FWD

they came FWD in this car

pulsar.jpg

its whats called a nissan pulsar gti-R which was only was released in Japan if im not mistaken the sr also came in the later model 240sx

everybody told me to put the sr20

just me but id listen to everybody if your gonna do a swap,

BUT, originality is practically dead in todays society so a V8 wouldnt be wrong to do what would be a cool thing to see is it streetable so you can see the look on someones face when you fire it and there expecting a 4 cylinder sound

Hold right there ,,,,,,,Fuck everything ,,, do what you want to do its your car ,,, there are many options,,,, just make sure you know what you are getting into , your goals , skillz , budget , and time are all in place ,,,, Build a mad-max car ,,, Build a drifter ,,, Build a reliable DD ,,,, or whatever ,,,,,,, not what someone else tells you too ,,,,,, just make sure all opinions , budgets , and ideas are taken into consideration before doing so ,,,, Totally up to you :cool:

BUT , if you decide to keep the 305 to convert to,,, Stick some better breathing heads on the sucker and Rhodes Hydro Lifters ( pump up ) ;) ,,, a 350 would be the best bet if you are considering between the two , again cool thing is either will bolt in if you decide to follow through ,,,, LOTS OF FABRICATION/Problem Solving skillz/$$$ budget ,,,

What ever you do ,,, Good Luck and may you succeed my friend :D

If You're Asking These Questions It's Best Not To Waist Your Time And Money

Unless You're Rich And Have A Fabricator Do It :)

I want to build this car in memory of my father, who was killed in a 210. No I dont know alot about this topic, thats why I am asking. Hoping to learn. No i'm not rich, but money is not my problem here, like I said . . . I WANT TO BUILD THIS CAR not have somebody build it for me. All I need here is some help on what I can and can not do to build this car. Thats why I am asking, to learn.

Hold right there ,,,,,,,Fuck everything ,,, do what you want to do its your car ,,, there are many options,,,, just make sure you know what you are getting into , your goals , skillz , budget , and time are all in place ,,,, Build a mad-max car ,,, Build a drifter ,,, Build a reliable DD ,,,, or whatever ,,,,,,, not what someone else tells you too ,,,,,, just make sure all opinions , budgets , and ideas are taken into consideration before doing so ,,,, Totally up to you :cool:

BUT , if you decide to keep the 305 to convert to,,, Stick some better breathing heads on the sucker and Rhodes Hydro Lifters ( pump up ) ;) ,,, a 350 would be the best bet if you are considering between the two , again cool thing is either will bolt in if you decide to follow through ,,,, LOTS OF FABRICATION/Problem Solving skillz/$$$ budget ,,,

What ever you do ,,, Good Luck and may you succeed my friend :D

Thank you, I am going to continue doing my homework. But I think I am still leaning towards the v8 thing. Another question, Will the mustang 8'' hold up to the 350? and will it be possible to do a wheel stand with a 350?

Thank you, I am going to continue doing my homework. But I think I am still leaning towards the v8 thing. Another question, Will the mustang 8'' hold up to the 350? and will it be possible to do a wheel stand with a 350?

The mustang 8" = 8.8" LSD yes ,,, for a stock-moderate built sbc ,,, they are a strong enough rear-end for your application ,,,

"wheel-stand" horsepower is another topic entirely :blink: ;)

I want to build this car in memory of my father, who was killed in a 210. No I dont know alot about this topic, thats why I am asking. Hoping to learn. No i'm not rich, but money is not my problem here, like I said . . . I WANT TO BUILD THIS CAR not have somebody build it for me. All I need here is some help on what I can and can not do to build this car. Thats why I am asking, to learn.

Do it! Don't be afraid to jump in. Get your self a welder, grinder and some other misc tools and get after it. If you screw something up just cut it out and do it again. The only way to learn is to get your hands dirty! Go for it! You'll get plenty of support and ideas here. :thumbup:

The mustang 8" = 8.8" LSD yes ,,, for a stock-moderate built sbc ,,, they are a strong enough rear-end for your application ,,,

"wheel-stand" horsepower is another topic entirely :blink: ;)

ok thank you. And if I dont get the wheel stand, i think i will survive ;)

Do it! Don't be afraid to jump in. Get your self a welder, grinder and some other misc tools and get after it. If you screw something up just cut it out and do it again. The only way to learn is to get your hands dirty! Go for it! You'll get plenty of support and ideas here. :thumbup:

Thank you, i think i am going to start looking for some of these parts. And its not something i want to do over night either so i am in no hurry.