280zx on 510

NOTES...

Hello... Ive been told this is a Direct bolt on... I tried doing it yesterday and the Lower ball joint is Different.. Do i just change the ball joint or the entire two bolt braket that has the tie rod hole in it too? Also... is there anyway to put the 280zx front without getting coilovers now? Im Trying to set it on all Fours...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Junkyard I got them off a 80 280zx... Yea the struts... I dont have pics of the Bottom portion of them.. Can u Show me The Differences? My 510 has a 4 bolt Ball joint and the 280 is a 3 bolt...

Should look something like this. The red spacer thing is there to correct suspension geometry.

9ac5377f.jpg

I meant Tie Rod Hole...Where can i get the Spacer at?

I don't know if you absolutely need the spacer. I have never tried installing without it.

Techno toy tuning carries them. You can also find them on fleabay. I bought mine used from another 510 owner. I had to buy the longer bolts separate.

That sounds Good... T3 wants $80 for those Spacers! Im Just trying to Get it rolling... Another issue... Can i put the 510 Spring and Top Hat so i can set them in? Cuz the 280zx ones are Too fat for the Well Provided.. Ima do a Coilover on it before i Finish the Project but This is so i can Roll it around for now...

You can swap them side for side(left to right)

With out the red spacer(bump steer spacer)

The calipers will be at the front instead of the rear.

What does this accomplish?

Are you saying that if you dont have spacers then you should swap them?

If you dont use the spacers, the control arms will be at an angle that obviously compromises bump steer which can make the car darty when driving over bumps and even worse, braking over bumpy surfaces. Turning the strut around putting the brakes to the front, will result in less efficient braking as the wheel mass is thrown up instead of down into the ground which improves braking efficiency. Another VERY negative effect is that the T/C rod is MUCH more likely to break when the car is severely to sometimes only moderately lowered. It will break at the front where it is bolted to the unibody. This means you will lose control of the car. Not good

Hopefully, this helps

Steve

wrroadrace.com

Oh yeah, you are supposed to use the 510 ball joints. You ONLY remove the stock 510 struts. you replace just the strut and that only. Leave everything else connected exactly how it comes from the factory on a stock 510. Unless you are replacing the ball joints, then put your new 510 ones on. But the strut fits onto stock steering arm/knuckle thing that connects to the ball joint. The 280zx ball joints do not swap over I don't believe.

Oh yeah, you are supposed to use the 510 ball joints. You ONLY remove the stock 510 struts. you replace just the strut and that only. Leave everything else connected exactly how it comes from the factory on a stock 510. Unless you are replacing the ball joints, then put your new 510 ones on. But the strut fits onto stock steering arm/knuckle thing that connects to the ball joint. The 280zx ball joints do not swap over I don't believe.

Yay, When I was at the JY pulling my ZX struts I got to the balljoints and was like really? These have to be the same bolt pattern on the 510. So I just grabbed the struts and left. Good news for me!