FREE DAN!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L16 bored 0.75mm over would be a bit under 7.88 so find a closed chamber head and you would have 8.41

what is a stock L16 suppose to be at. and that is some low compression shit. i thought my motor was low but want to make sure. Also mike what is the purpose of low compression besides to turbo.

The L16 uses a 38.5cc head for 8.74 compression. If you get L24 flat top pistons you can run a U67 head and have 8.79.

I suppose a lower compression head will allow better operation with a turbo but runs like a pig all the rest of the time.

The higher the compression the more efficient the motor will be at converting heat into motion by reducing heat loss to the head piston and cylinder surfaces. This is because a higher compression takes less time to burn (less time to transmit heat ) and the rapidly expanding gasses press harder on the piston top. The energy released is the same just more is converted into motion.

really?

lower compression is for the shit gas that they started giving us in the 1st gas crisis back in like 72...

thats why smog motors took the hit in HP... low compression..

Yes and no. Motors back then used to be measured at the crank, (gross hp or engine brake hp) no alt, power steering, air con, or belts some even had the water pumps removed to remove as much parasitic losses and to give the highest hp readings. Eventually they were forced to be taken at the rear wheels with frictional losses from the transmission. driveshaft and differential added in ... so they dropped a lot. It wasn't all smog.

I worked at GM in '74 -'75 and at 2 in the morning and 10 below in the parking lot the only cars that would start reliably were the older 60 and very early 70s cars with the higher comp. Some GM workers always buy their product and these were the cars that wouldn't start. My 310 '69 Charger always started and I even gave a few boosts. Nothing worse for a GM employee than having to get a boost on his new Chev form a 5 year old Dodge.... I loved ir!!!!

Yes and no. Motors back then used to be measured at the crank, (gross hp or engine brake hp) no alt, power steering, air con, or belts some even had the water pumps removed to remove as much parasitic losses and to give the higest hp readings. Eventually they were forced to be taken at the rear wheels with frictional losses from the transmission. driveshaft and differential added in ... so they dropped a lot. It wasn't all smog.

yeah... the gross vs SAE battle...

did they test datsun engines gross or SAE? i dont remember... but L16s are 96hp engines.. l20 is 110...

for performance....

take for example, the 70 454 chevelle... it came from the factory with 11:1, and was rated at like 450hp gross back then.

compression makes power...

In many cases this was way under rated for insurance purposes. 500hp would be closer. The Chrysler HEMI was rated at 425 hp but was detuned for the street and was even higher. My new 70 Dart was factory rated at 270 hp but a friend with the same car and motor exactly dyno'd at 300 even, totally stock.

yeah... the gross vs SAE battle...

did they test datsun engines gross or SAE? i dont remember... but L16s are 96hp engines.. l20 is 110...

The 240 and 260 were gross and the later were SAE and this is partly why the SU engines made more or close to the later 280x fpr power. It's comparing apples and Dukels.