Engine yank

Hey there, unfortunately my truck is down for a while, in need of a new tranni, so while I can't drive it I was planning on doing some cosmetic work. One of the biggest things I want to do is paint the engine compartment, my question is, how hard is it to pull the motor out and everything else you would need to in order to paint it? Because I don't wanna jump into this project, only to find out it's over my head. I have the tools needed, other then a cherry picker, but a Skid-Steer and some chains could substitute nicely. You guys always seem to have plenty of wisdom and I'm in need of it at this moment.

Oh, and when (and if) I get it all done, I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures :lol:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tranny is already out, this should be a super easy job. Leave the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold on the motor. Keep the motor as complete as possible and it will simplify things usually. Unhook the exhaust at the bottom of the manifold, fuel lines, wiring, radiator and hoses will come out too. Couple hour job to get this all removed.

Then look at what is left in the engine bay(take lots of pics for reassembly reference purposes, post a few too) and maybe only take part of it apart at a time to paint..

Good luck

If this is your first time pulling an engine, make a checklist as you go. Every step. label all wires you pull off, and where they go. Do the same with any vacuum hoses. Make notes of how they are routed. Get some Baggies, and put the bolts, and other small parts in them, and label what the bolts in the Baggie are for.

If you pull the engine out the top, mark where the hood hinges bolt to the hood, and take the hood off.

The first step is to disconnect the negative battery cable.

If this is your first time pulling an engine, make a checklist as you go. Every step. label all wires you pull off, and where they go. Do the same with any vacuum hoses. Make notes of how they are routed. Get some Baggies, and put the bolts, and other small parts in them, and label what the bolts in the Baggie are for.

If you pull the engine out the top, mark where the hood hinges bolt to the hood, and take the hood off.

The first step is to disconnect the negative battery cable.

i couldn't say it any better i can add take pictures for a reference

Thank you guys, I'll most deffinently take pictures as I go. The biggest thing that's in the way is the wiring loom on the passenger wheel well, the guy I bought the truck from cut it open, so now I have to re-bundle it and figure out how to keep it out of the way... That and the fact it's been about 37 degrees on average lately, and my shop isn't set up for paint. :/

And I have another question kinda relating to this. What would your opinions be on me mounting my battery in the bed and making a metal box for it? I'd move the wiper fluid tank somewhere else, and I already have the rad. overflow tank replaced with a Bawls bottle mounted to the side of the rad.. I want the engine compartment to look as clean as possible, and the engine to stand out.:)

Its simple... pulling a motor is cake.... It takes meh 45 minutes to pull a motor and tranny out of a running driving datsun....

Just pull motor mount bolts, unhook throttle cable, un hook fuel lines, drain radiator, remove radiator, unhook any emissions stuff that is in your way, remove carb wires, remove battery negative, remove alternator wires, and remove any small stuff that im forgetting....

the easiest way to put a motor in is attach the tranny while its out, It sucks trying to mate a tranny and motor under the car or truck....

Find yourself one of these, it allows you to get a motor and tranny in at the same time because you can get a good angle, OBERG TILT LIFT

obergTiltLift2.jpg

Yello620, thanks for the advice with the wiring, I was kinda puzzled with what to do with it. And so far I've taken the tranni out from under my truck or put it 3 times, and I have to say that it wasn't fun at all... ha.<_< And with the tilt lift thing, at the moment we're kinda strapped for cash, so I'm thinking if we do it, we'd have to either tough it out without a tilt lift, or just put it in under the truck, I don't mind a lil hard work :P

Oh, and what are some good points I could use to pull it out with?