Possible posi

Jester

I know someone that works at a wrecking yard here locally. He once told me that the first generation Mazda RX7's had a H190 carrier. So,I was digging around on an RX7 forum, looking for info today and found this.

Would anyone here happen to be or know of someone into RX7's that can verify the fit?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the rear end "as a whole" JUST THE CARRIER! Kinda like the front from a early 720 being usable in a 510 or Z car. Same idea here. Swap the carrier from a first gen(79-85) RX7 into our Dattos.

The first Gen RX7 with disc brake rear had a LSD from the factory. Guys that drift these cars sometimes have a problem with blowing them up. Like us, they are on the hunt for a stronger unit. The third post in the link above (from Goopy) gives a list of direct fits to the RX7 rear end. So, if the RX rear carrier will swap into our Dattos, does the others should fit ours as well.

I just don't know about the spline count? Or, if the side gears will interchange with those from our rigs. Some LSD's had a different configuration to the side gears. I sent a PM to Bob3 to check the ones in the '94 Miata. Maybe he'll post his findings here for everyone.

This is what Goopy had to say:

If you want to go up in gear ratio and want t junk yard shop then use a miata 1994 and newer LSD with the 4.30 or use the front diff from a B2600 4x4 truck, it is 4.44 and will fit perfectly in your GSL-SE rear end housing....

Or one more trick ..the front diff from a Kia 4x4 1994-2001 has a 4.88 ratio and is a dirct bolt on with a GSL-SE rear end..

Hey Jes the biggest issue I think with the wagon rear ends is not the center section its the PINNER axles that they have 23 spline axles and the OD is super small the actually taper down at some point along the axle the truck axles are the bigger stronger units and are a 29 spline axle. I along with Luke have talked about getting custom axles (Dutchman)made with 29 splines in the wagon length drilled for either 4 or 5 lug that will exept the truck 3rd member then you can get the brute LSD to fit in the wagons too

Clayton

I hear what you guys are saying, just thought I would throw this info out here and see if anyone was interested in looking into this as well. I will keep digging and see if I can find something. I just thought it was cool that there MAY be a possibility of finding a wrecking yard posi for our H190's.

I was over at a friends shop today. He and I were discussing the posi from the RX7 and he mentioned a customer of his with a Datsun dually PU. He just swapped in a 5 speed for him. When the guy went to leave he spun the wheels in the shop and left two SETS of twin on the shop floor. Said it struck him oddly that the dually had a posi rear end. May be a thought too. Did ALL duallys come with posi rear end???????

Steroid, Mike?????

Not from the factory. The first truck LSD option was on the '87 - '93 WD-21 Pathfinder but was only on the H-233 diff. The '88 - '93 D-21Hardbody had LSD available as an option on the H-233, the C-200 and actually on the H-190 rear end though I have never seen one. The H-190 was only used on 4 cylinder 2wd D21s. I do not know if the D-21 and the 521/620/720 axle splines are compatible.... probably.

Also there is one good way to tell if it has the LSD option. The very back of the H-190 3rd member or 'bum' will have a stamp size orange sticker on it (under the grease, so take a rag) that will say "LSD" or "USE ONLY LSD OIL"

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

These LSDs only came with 3.545, 3.70 and 3.90 ratios but could be swapped.

What is wrong with the power brute, besides cost....

What other options do we have if the Mazda unit does not work?

had a wagon down at Troys a while back and he had swapped in a 1987 corolla gts rear end but its a bit wider than the wagons rear end. The only issue with the power brute is from what I was understanding is that someone bought Precision gear and they were not going to make them anymore :(

had a wagon down at Troys a while back and he had swapped in a 1987 corolla gts rear end but its a bit wider than the wagons rear end. The only issue with the power brute is from what I was understanding is that someone bought Precision gear and they were not going to make them anymore :(

[/quote

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

That's correct they no longer are avaliable. I called them one day to find out so I could possibly get axles made and run the truck 3rd member. Kinda sucks but I'm sure they weren't hot sellers.