1964 Datsun 320 my new daily

My new daily driver, the old girl does need a little work but I'm sure she'll come up a treat with a little TLC. Been sitting for the past 10 years, thankfully on blocks and last registered in 1996. It was last used on a farm for a hay carting vehicle and then purchased with the intention or restoring but sat in shed for 10 years to now be in my possesion. I have been on the look out for so long after selling my 521 and earlier 320 tray top and now the hunt is finally over. Comes with a couple spares and a spare rebuilt motor. Not as bad as it looks, all is pretty original just alot of surface rust. First thing I intend on doing is removing the tray and getting it sand blasted and any repairs done. While that is off I'll be cleaning and painting the entire rear end of the chassis and also replacing rubbers and shocks. There are a couple places of rust in the cab where the cabin bolts on to the chassis, so far from what I can see it is only 2 of the mounts and mainly in the guards, hopefully hasn't gone through to the pillar. This may be a slow project as I still have my other car to finish first but hopefully proves to be a reliable daily for me.

Am also looking for some parts that aren't with the car, original radio, window winder, tool kit, jack, crank handle, glove box manual, and there maybe more. Willing to pay for shipping from the US.

320ute1.jpg

320ute6.jpg

320ute12-1.jpg

320ute4-1.jpg

320ute9.jpg

320ute11.jpg

320ute7.jpg

320ute8.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some before shots of the engine bay, sending a few pieces off to get sand blasted and powder coated. Car came with a rebuilt engine on a brand new engine stand so hope to give it a fresh coat of paint as it has been sitting in shed along with the car for the past 10+ years and replace the old engine in it over the next few weeks.

IMG_0018-Copy.jpg?t=1294757477

IMG_0017-Copy.jpg?t=1294757127

Half way cleaning up the engine bay, must admit it's coming up better than first thought. Pulled interior out also to get a start on that, will keep everything exactly the same althought matching the colours might be a little tricky but should get close enough. Also put the original front bar and tailgate back on, looks so much better.

Does anyone know what model came out with arm rests, deciding whether to put these in or not. One of them was installed but the other was in the back of the tray. Not from this ute as there was a slit cut in the door trim to fit and also colour scheme is different but did notice the factory mounting holes in the door and door panel and fit perfect.

IMG_0023-Copy.jpg?t=1294756590

IMG_0021-Copy.jpg?t=1294756676

IMG_0020-Copy.jpg?t=1294756787

IMG_0019-Copy.jpg?t=1294756930

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's an update on the ute. The interior is done and upholsterer did an awesome job of the interior. I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible but I couldn't find even a close match on the original colours so I went with my own colours close to it. I'm very happy with how it turned out but still wondering if to install the armrests or not, I had them retrimmed also just in case. Also sent a lot of parts to the sand blasters ready to be painted including the original rebuilt engine, once this is done that should have the engine bay complete. I don't intend on doing the body as I would like to keep it as much untoched and original as possible. For those wondering on how I cleaned the engine bay, alot of elbow greese, 2 full days of working in high 30's temp outside and 1.5 tins of extra cut.

IMG_0086-Copy.jpg

IMG_0089-Copy.jpg

IMG_0087-Copy.jpg

IMG_0088-Copy.jpg

IMG_0138-Copy.jpg

Hi there, right hand drive is awesome, cause we do not have it over here. But imagine guys(USA) trying to get used to a 4 speed on the column with your left arm:huh:, espiecially the 320 shift pattern, at least when it's on the floor it's a normal shift pattern. I like the interior, thats the pattern I went with, are there pockets on the door pannel bottom? Stock over here had pockets the whole length of the bottom, i went with a half pocket.

DSCN0703.jpgDSCN0004.jpg

Thanks guys.

Wayno they are full length pockets, identical to original. The seat pattern is also identical to original, right down to all the corner stitches and all. He did a great job and I'm very with it. The only thing not original are the colours, but as close as I could get, and the lines are sewn in where the original seats lines are pressed in with what I'm guessing would be some sort of heat press.

• 1 year later...

Well finally been doing some work on my 320 to sell the old girl. Fully rebuilt the original engine as the rebuild I was told the engine had was an extremely poor attemp at a recondition. So stripped it down and had block acid dipped to clean it thoroughly, had crank linished with new mains also now, head faced, valves reseated and pressure tested. All parts were sandblasted and painted. Coming together nicely.

Before

320ute11.jpg

After

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

It's amazing what comes out in the wash

DSC00269.jpg

Hopefully have it installed in the coming weeks.

Now back to work on the 521.

• 4 months later...

Wow... thats super blue. I dont know if I like it haha. I do really like the reconditioned aircleaner though. Ive been thinking about redoing mine back to oringal color... I wonder if there are reproduction stickers for the top of the box.

Glad to see the engine in and that its running smoothly.

• 6 months later...

Hey there.

I had been watching your ute for sale on Carsales. Now i noticed the guy who bought it has it up for sale on ebay, ending tomorrow night.

He says he has had an opportunity to go overseas and needs to sell, just wondering if you could fill me in on any of the details. Was everything ok with the vehicle when you sold it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as i am considering bidding on it.

regards