looking for fuel injection for l16

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Simple' and 'fuel injection' are .... mutually exclusive. The first Nissan L4 fuel injection was on the JDM only SSS-E 610 with Bosh style EFI. Find one of these and bolt it on, good luck. None of these were ever sold here. So the next thing is to make your own. You will need to make a manifold or convert (shorten) a manifold from a 280z/zx. Since this was a 6 cylinder you will need a system that is programmable like Mega Squirt for a 4 cylinder. Endless fabrication and one offs.

It might be easier to find some form of throttle body system form a later Nissan ... or anything really as this will be very custom made.

I too really want to fuel inject my L20b, but yeah like the others said, it can be a bitch. Unfortunately it seems like simplicity (if there is any for an L Series EFI) and cost are directly proportional. There are a few threads on here regarding it, but I have been doing a ton of extra research on it too. If you are interested can post up or message you with the specific sites.

Also as a side note, the search on here is not that good. If you want to drill down very efficiently on ratsun go to google. Use advanced search or just type in "site:ratsun.net" into the normal search box. For example: "site:ratsun.net efi L series" brings up about 164 results.

If you REALLY want to keep your L-series go for it. If a complete engine swap is easier? I couldn't tell you. You will get all the efi manifolds with your new motor and computer and wiring harnesses. But you will still have to do all the fuel injection plumbing from the fuel tank no matter how you do it: Return fuel Line, high pressure fuel injection line, fuel pump (maybe two), surge tank (preferable).

I don't mind the work. After having several v8s and this weber that's on my car now. I am burnt out on carbs. I want fuel injection for the simplicity after the work has ben done. But if doing a single cam non turbo ka or somthing is cheaper then fabricating one I might as well do that. Why not get a couple more horse power while I am at it

Anything against throttle body injection? Yes it isn't as elegant as multi port, but you get smart air fuel mix, no choke to worry about, so cold start is a no problem situation, and they are low pressure feed systems, wich still use hose clamps on the fuel lines. I Chose 2.2/2.5 chryser throttle body to use because 1, so easy to find and I am a dodge guy anyways, 2, they use a hall effect switch, wich basically is a condensed version of a cam/crank trigger housed in the dizzy. I adapted the chrysler distributor to the datsun pedastel. Hooked up the wiring to the throttle body, hall effect switch and MAP sensor. Used the chrysler coil and piggybacked the necessary wiring into the stock datsun stuff. The dodge ecm requires air to flow through it, to cool it and also to use it as an air intake temp sensor. I used a 12 v electric fan for a computer for air flow, like I have done on many dodge shadows that i did a non stock intake on.

Plus you can use your stock intake manifold..........a carburetor mixes air and fuel and delivers it through the manifold, so now you have an electronically controlled fuel injector doing the same thing, and a bit of port work will make a difference just like using a carb......... Modify the chrysler stuff for the air filter and you have a pretty sweet, cheap EFI setup. You also need an electric fuel pump capable of 18 psi. Ny buddy and i did this to My 620 (like 4 trucks ago) and it worked out real well. I havent done it since i got out of the dadge shadow business, but those rigs are all over the jy.

good luck

Bill

I'd say EFI isn't to bad on a L series. Some things you would have to do if it's an L or KA. Like add a 5/16's return and feed line and a high pressure pump, throttle cable and a few other small things. If I was to say which is easier an L or a KA it's kind of a toss up. I turboed both the L series engines I worked on, it would be easier if it was just EFI alone. Both require some fab work and wiring skills.

im looking for fuel injection for my l16 or would it just be cheaper and easier to do a ka or sr swap.. thanks

I am selling a L-series "factory" efi setup.

JDM EFI setup

pretty much everything but fuel lines and the time to put it all together, and in-tank pump, but I have at least one out of tank efi pump, maybe two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.