title problems

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call your local DMV

I had this same issue it depends on the state. My car was last registered in Washington, but so long ago(expired 93 stickers) it was not in the computer any longer which made it easy for me to get a Brand New title in Oregon for $77 + another $7 for a Vin inspection.

I had to have Washington send me a paper saying the car was no longer registered in WA.

Only took 3 weeks total.

It all depends on your states and counties regulations. I went thru this last year with my truck. I got lucky and the previous owner went with me to the dmv. But, title service is the way to go if the local dmv wont help you out. cost is around 300 bones...

In idaho, you are going to need to get a bill of sale from the last titled owner, and there is an affadavit to have them sign. The easiest way is to have the last titled owner apply for a duplicate title and have them give that to you.

Therein lies the problem. If the ppl you got it from weren't the last owners, or if no one knows who they were, this can throw a monkey wrench in your plans. For a fee you can get the address, write them (assuming the address is still good) and implore them to help you out. if they are for sure not around or dead or something then the easiest way is this:

Find a willing tow truck company, i go for the private small guys who will help you out. They will just fill out paperwork saying they have the rig and it was towed since it was abandoned somewhere. The State will then send a registered letter to the owners. The sucky thing is it takes like 90 days since that is the time the PO has to fess up, come pick up the car from the tow company and pay the huge dollars (hypothetically) to get it out of impound. If no one answers then the tow company gets a title and they sell it to you.

My 88 hardbody 4x4 was that way, and it cost me 100 bucks to the tow guys for the service. Idaho is too strict on lost title stuff these days, and title fees have almost doubled. It used to be 8 bux and then i always had a title in like 6 work days, now its 14 and my title for the 620 took a month and a half...(oh for 40 some dollars you can get the title express from the sate and it comes in the same amount of time it used to when the title fee was 8....a-holes anyways)

Good luck

Bill

Ha ha at almost all other states surrounding idaho, and their ridiculous auto license and title fees....montana, washington, oregon........blah.

34 bux a year for fees, 8 bucks when i need new plates. If you get any special plates the price goes way up but whatever.....it's cheap but some of the hoops are effin ridiculous when things aren't by the book

Bill

I bought a car from washington. Lost title. Had to apply for lost title in washington, had the new one mailed to my house in oregon. Went to DMV and title transfered to oregon. Got my plates and registration on the spot, just had to wait for the title in the mail.

Prices should be up on your DMV's website.

I gave him the prices, the title fee is 14 bucks. If you are NOT the registered owner, you CANNOT apply for a lost title in idaho........posession is not the law. If you have a car, in your name and you lose the title, you can apply for a lost title and get a duplicate in the mail. If you are trying to sell a rig and can't find the title and need it sold, you can go down to the dmv with the buyer and fill out an affadavit and have the new title sent directly to the buyer.

In his situation where he isn't sure of the last registered owner it could turn into a can of worms. I have bought sold hundreds of cars in Idaho and have dealer ties etc and it can be a pain in the ass in the situation he is in, in idaho. Trust me,buying/selling boats and PWC are worse if people dont immediately register and title it in their name.

Bill