quick question

ll77

hi everyone.

im pretty new to the site and cars in general, but im looking to get a gasket set for my 76 280z that i got about a month ago. ive read that ishino is a good brand, so i looked them up.

this seems to be the best deal i can find for them

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/6636-01000788.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1977-1978+Nissan+280Z+Head+Gasket+Set+Ishino+77-78+Nissan+Head+Gasket+Set&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

I'm confused because I thought 280z's all came with the same l28, but theyre separating and pricing them as if they were different by the years. Am I right, or are there different l28s in 280s?

but while im here, let me unload another noob question on you guys

correct me if im wrong or missing anything but is this all i need to replace vc gasket: ratchet and the right socket + razor blade to take off the old gasket + torque wrench to torque bolts to 60 ft lbs after i slip the new gasket on, clean motor oil to seal between gasket and vc?

I would appreciate all responses, im still getting used to searching on here..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even try to torque the VC bolts to 60ft/lbs; you won't make it to 20 before you strip out the aluminum threads in the head. Just snug them down.

There were a couple L28s; not sure if more than 2, but one of them was a diesel. I do know that there were carbureted and fuel injected versions of the gasoline engine... not sure if the blocks would have different gaskets, though.

I'm confused because I thought 280z's all came with the same l28, but theyre separating and pricing them as if they were different by the years

all 75-78 280z's came with an L28 along with all 79-83 280zx's

(thus the 280 name. 240z had a 2.4L L24, 260z had an 2.6L L26, 300zx had a 3.0L VG30 and so on)

the diferances that will affect the choice of the head gasket set your looking at, that is the whole head gasket set btw not just the cam cover gasket.

the set your looking at is the head gasket, cam cover gasket, fuel pump gaskets, timing chain inspection cover gasket, water outlet gasket, valve stem seals, and the intake/exhaust gasket... which is where you find your most common difference. depending on what head you have you will have either square or round exhaust ports.

so go out and pop your hood and check your head, it may or may not be the stocker after all these years so its best to double check.

correct me if im wrong or missing anything but is this all i need to replace vc gasket: ratchet and the right socket + razor blade to take off the old gasket + torque wrench to torque bolts to 60 ft lbs after i slip the new gasket on, clean motor oil to seal between gasket and vc?

just pull the cam cover with a 10mm socket, pull the gasket off. its not a tight seal so you dont often need to scrape it.

just pop the new one on dry (dont need any oil or sealer) and for the love of god dont torque them down to 60ft lbs :o

the torque spec for the cam cover bolts is 7lbs

oh ok haha thanks. dont know why i thought it was 60.:huh:

Skib: yeah i know that its a set, i was just wondering about replacing the vc gasket because its probably the only viable gasket to replace given my knowledge (so far). so i need to find out if its got a n42, p90, etc? how can i tell?

thanks for all the help guys.:D

oh ok haha thanks. dont know why i thought it was 60.:huh:

Skib: yeah i know that its a set, i was just wondering about replacing the vc gasket because its probably the only viable gasket to replace given my knowledge (so far). so i need to find out if its got a n42, p90, etc? how can i tell?

thanks for all the help guys.:D

just makin sure you whernt getting all that stuff on accident ;)

head ID is on the pass side of the block, its stamped between the 1 & 2 spark plug.

like so

MyoldPictures619.jpg

hahah yeah its nice huh.

http://fatlace.com/s...ol/hella-kenny/

he helped me take that picture

i know my car sits way too high, maybe someday when i have enough money...

but getting back on topic, i checked the head and it is consistent with the n42 that came stock on the 75-76 280z. I didnt know that the gaskets depended on the cylinder head, thanks for the help guys.:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Valve cover bolts strip the head out at about 22 Ft/Lbs. Don't ask me why I know this.

just use a short ratchet and hold it by the head of the ratchet to tighten the bolts. I only use maybe 8 ft/lbs by hand. Run the engine and if there are any leaks just give it a little more snug.

I'm confused because I thought 280z's all came with the same l28, but theyre separating and pricing them as if they were different by the years. Am I right, or are there different l28s in 280s?

Since the question was asked, There are a few different L28's

Blocks:

N42, Usually dished pistons and slightly thicker cylinder walls (a more desirable block for the 3.1 stroker)

F54, Non turbo, came with flat top pistons, and a mount for an oil cooler adapter

F54 Turbo, dished pistons, and a mount for an oil cooler adapter

Then theres the Maxima Diesel LD28. If memory serves, this is actually the same block as the L24E gas Maximas were using, but I am not 100% certain. HOWEVER, the LD28 has a crank that gives it a much longer stroke (another component of the 3.1 stroker) which would increase the 2.4L displacement to 2.8L. So I'm fairly certain I'm correct about it actually being a factory modified L24E block.

This is basically the the same principal as the L24 and L26, the L26 is an L24 block with a crank that's designed for a longer stroke to increase the displacement to 2.6L

Heads, sticking with JUST L28 heads, there's quite a few:

N42

N47

P79

P90

P90A with standard solid rockers

P90A with hydraulic rockers. (the p90A was the only L28 head with hydraulic rockers and are few and far between)

And then there's the LD28 Diesel head, but I dont remember the casting number at the moment.

The intake manifolds are also different, but I'm not going to get into that unless somebody asks >.>

In the grand scheme of things, all these motors are very similar. The differences are minor,piston type, valve sizes, port shapes, combustion chambers. They can all be mixed and matched with the exception of the LD28.

Torque specs are all identical.

Heads, sticking with JUST L28 heads, there's quite a few:

N42

N47

P79

P90

P90A with standard solid rockers

P90A with hydraulic rockers. (the p90A was the only L28 head with hydraulic rockers and are few and far between)

And then there's the LD28 Diesel head, but I dont remember the casting number at the moment.

theres two P90 heads, a strait P90 with solid rockers and the P90A hydraulic

theres are a few solid rocker heads on early 83s that are stamped P90A

all L6 heads are interchangeable. you can use E88 and E31 heads as well

theres two P90 heads, a strait P90 with solid rockers and the P90A hydraulic

theres are a few solid rocker heads on early 83s that are stamped P90A

all L6 heads are interchangeable. you can use E88 and E31 heads as well

I did mention the P90 and P90A, and there are actually two of the P90As, most were solid, a few were hydraulic. I do have a few friends who have P90A's with solid rockers, one of which is on an untouched (when I say untouched, I mean the internals have not been changed) crate motor that came directly from Nissan Japan.

I was going to keep just to just L28 heads, but since you brought up The E88 and E31, I'll mention those too.

E30 head which is the highest quench head for the L series made by Nissan, but is only availible in japan.

E31 second highest quench made by Nissan, however the highest quench you can find in the US. Found on Series 1 240Z's

E88..... well that's a long story. There are three E88's.

There is a rare E88, made for only a few months after the switch from the E31. This has the same combustion characteristics of the E31. Most people are unaware of it's existance. The only reason I know about it is because I stumbled across one. I matched it up against my E31, and it is virtually identical. I've found a few other people on HybridZ who either have, or are aware of this head.

Then there's the standard E88 you find on most late 71-73 240Z's

Last we have the E88 on the 260Z, this casting has open chamber head meaning that there are no quench pads in the combustion chambers.

NONE OF THE E88 or E31 HEADS ARE NOTCHED FOR FUEL INJECTION.

You can notch them for the injectors yourself, but if you want to just swap and go with minimal work, them WILL NOT work for EFI untill they have been lightly modified.

Not trying to step on your toes there Skib, just trying to make sure the people know before they go buy a head they have to modify.

Then theres the Maxima Diesel LD28. If memory serves, this is actually the same block as the L24E gas Maximas were using, but I am not 100% certain. HOWEVER, the LD28 has a crank that gives it a much longer stroke (another component of the 3.1 stroker) which would increase the 2.4L displacement to 2.8L. So I'm fairly certain I'm correct about it actually being a factory modified L24E block.

LD28 block is WAYY different than an L24E block. An L24E bare block is like most other L24 blocks but is front sump.

The LD28 block has a deck height of 227.45mm(like an L20B where an L24E block has a deck height of 207.85mm like any of the standard height Z car blocks. Also the front cover is completely different between the blocks. L24E being a normal front cover and the LD28 cover has no distributor drive and has provisions for the injector pump assembly. The optimal block to use for a no restriction ultimate L6 build would be the LD28 block as you have the option to use much longer connecting rods for reduced rod angle and the larger head bolts/ studs.

Wayy too much misinformation on the internet these days...

Comparing those two blocks is like comparing apples to explosives.

I did mention the P90 and P90A, and there are actually two of the P90As, most were solid, a few were hydraulic. I do have a few friends who have P90A's with solid rockers, one of which is on an untouched (when I say untouched, I mean the internals have not been changed) crate motor that came directly from Nissan Japan.

I was going to keep just to just L28 heads, but since you brought up The E88 and E31, I'll mention those too.

E30 head which is the highest quench head for the L series made by Nissan, but is only availible in japan.

E31 second highest quench made by Nissan, however the highest quench you can find in the US. Found on Series 1 240Z's

E88..... well that's a long story. There are three E88's.

There is a rare E88, made for only a few months after the switch from the E31. This has the same combustion characteristics of the E31. Most people are unaware of it's existance. The only reason I know about it is because I stumbled across one. I matched it up against my E31, and it is virtually identical. I've found a few other people on HybridZ who either have, or are aware of this head.

Then there's the standard E88 you find on most late 71-73 240Z's

Last we have the E88 on the 260Z, this casting has open chamber head meaning that there are no quench pads in the combustion chambers.

NONE OF THE E88 or E31 HEADS ARE NOTCHED FOR FUEL INJECTION.

You can notch them for the injectors yourself, but if you want to just swap and go with minimal work, them WILL NOT work for EFI untill they have been lightly modified.

Not trying to step on your toes there Skib, just trying to make sure the people know before they go buy a head they have to modify.

Actually most P90A heads were hydraulic and a few were solid....

Also the MN47 head, the head found on an L24E from a first gen Maxima. 39-39.5cc tight chambers, round exhaust liners(works like an anti-reversion device), and decent intake ports. Great for a cheap hot street/ autox motor using an late L28 with flat top pistons to make around 10.7:1 compression with bolt together parts.

LD28 block is WAYY different than an L24E block. An L24E bare block is like most other L24 blocks but is front sump.

The LD28 block has a deck height of 227.45mm(like an L20B where an L24E block has a deck height of 207.85mm like any of the standard height Z car blocks. Also the front cover is completely different between the blocks. L24E being a normal front cover and the LD28 cover has no distributor drive and has provisions for the injector pump assembly. The optimal block to use for a no restriction ultimate L6 build would be the LD28 block as you have the option to use much longer connecting rods for reduced rod angle and the larger head bolts/ studs.

Wayy too much misinformation on the internet these days...

Comparing those two blocks is like comparing apples to explosives.

That would be why I said I wasnt certain on the LD block, I havent messed with any of the first gen Maximas and didnt have any specs on those two motors handy. Again, that would be the reason for me saying I wasnt sure. After you mentioned the deck height I did remember hearing something along those lines a while back, but had forgotten about that info and the source. I appreciate your chiming in with your knowledge about them.

Actually most P90A heads were hydraulic and a few were solid....

Also the MN47 head, the head found on an L24E from a first gen Maxima. 39-39.5cc tight chambers, round exhaust liners(works like an anti-reversion device), and decent intake ports. Great for a cheap hot street/ autox motor using an late L28 with flat top pistons to make around 10.7:1 compression with bolt together parts.

I left out the Maxima MN47 head, mainly because again, it's on a maxima, and I dont have much info on the maxima motors. Technically there are actually a few more L series heads that still havent been mentioned, but those are pretty much entirely oddball SOHC heads,

Theres a few variations of the N42 head In Japan

There's the N33 which is extremely similar to the last casting of the E88

P99, virtually identical to the P90

These are most likely miscastings but I dont have any additional info on them.

Back to the P90A again... I've heard it both ways. More Hydraulics were made, and more Solids were made.... I've never been able to find any actual documentation on the head production for the P90a's to clarify how many of each were made.

I will say however, out of the 5 P90A's I've seen in person, None were hydraulic. I only know of two guys in central Texas who've seen a hydraulic P90A. I've had discussions with a few people on HybridZ who have been working on Z's for a couple decades, and I got mixed responses from them. From what I've seen and what I've heard over the years, it seems that there were more Solid rocker P90As made.

I'm not saying I'm the end all source of information on Zs. Not in the slightest. I'm human, I know some of my information is probably wrong. I try to preface it with "I'm not sure" or at least give a decent indication that I could be wrong in the post.

Back to the P90A again... I've heard it both ways. More Hydraulics were made, and more Solids were made.... I've never been able to find any actual documentation on the head production for the P90a's to clarify how many of each were made.

I will say however, out of the 5 P90A's I've seen in person, None were hydraulic. I only know of two guys in central Texas who've seen a hydraulic P90A. I've had discussions with a few people on HybridZ who have been working on Z's for a couple decades, and I got mixed responses from them. From what I've seen and what I've heard over the years, it seems that there were more Solid rocker P90As made.

most P90As are hydraulic, thats why they have the separate distinction of the "A" stamp. some of the early 83 turbos got the P90A casting but still got the solid hardware.

trust me, I learned my L head shit from the best.

I left out the Maxima MN47 head, mainly because again, it's on a maxima, and I dont have much info on the maxima motors.

and since where on the subject there is really no such thing as an "MN47" the maxima head is a variant of the N47 and carries a regular N47 stamp.

the distinction "MN" was just born from internet talk so you dont have to type "an N47 from a maxima" every time.

and if you run into an LD28, just take the crank leave everything else

your p99 is actally p79 or your typo, ill let you pick, great head, round ports with liners.

Not my head, not my typo.

I mentioned in that post that it's probably a miscast. As in wrong ID. Or possible a few people mistook 7's for 9's when looking at their heads. I've seen it mentioned a few times on a few forums over the years.

• 5 months later...