Manifolds

justin 620

Hey there, I heard somewhere that you can have different ports on your manifold as opposed to your engine, I was just wondering if this is true, and if so, which match up is ok? Because I know one was bad news, and one was ok, but I forgot which was do-able.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and sorry for the lack of info, it's an l20b and i'm talking about exhaust manifolds. I'm just wondering this because I have a stock manifold that came with my truck, but it has some sort of metal hose coming off the side of it (assuming it was for smog) and I just can't get it sealed tight enough and it's causing nasty exhaust fumes in my cab. And have a square port mani without this problem. In your opinions would it be better to just deal with the one I have on the now and not risk messing something up somehow? Or put the other one on?

Sounds like the EGR tube. Just hammer a couple of inches flat and roll the end up like a toothpaste tube. Or unscrew the tube and take to a hardware store and try to find a pipe thread plug for the hole. Way easier than changing manifolds.

This for the '79??? The manifold on the '79 is a 4 into 1 pipe that bolts to a single down pipe. The only other square port exhaust manifold is a 4 into 2 pipe joining to a 2 pipe down pipe. If you change the manifold you will need to change the down pipe also I would think.

Ohhhhhhhh alright, well smog isn't an issue so I'll just plug the hole up and keep the mani that's on there now. Thanks Mike for the info, I would have gone out there and taken everything off just to find out that it wouldn't work, ha.